ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lower Ratio Final Drive Wanted

Simbo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
I'm planning on entering a few hill climbs again this year so am looking to improve the acceleration of my standard 172 Cup. Last year was my first season and I quickly realised that a lower ratio final drive would probably provide the biggest bang for my bucks - particularly as it's widely recognised that bhp improvements to these already good engines is a relatively expensive pursuit. So, can anyone advise me of the most cost effective way of reducing the final drive ratio? Are rebuilt gearboxes available specifically aimed at hill climbing / sprinting? I would have thought this was a relatively common mod for any level of competition, so will be very grateful for any guidance from anyone who has already been down this route.
Many thanks in advance.

Simbo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Many thanks for your very swift reply!
And very interesting?
Whereabouts in the country are you?

Simbo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
I can supply and fit a gripper with a gripper lower final drive ratio mate if you’re interested? Can rebuild it into your original box too.
Hello again mate - I now have a more Hillclimb specific 172 Cup and need the gripper diff with lower final drive. Pure have proposed the lowest 5.25 ratio if the car is not a daily. However, the car is driven to and from Hillclimb venues - sometimes 250 mile round trips - so, ideally, I’d like to find a taller 5th gear set that provides almost standard motorway cruising. Is this at all possible? And are you able to provide an outline quote for installing the complete gripper and new final drive assembly? I realise the new diff requires new diff bearings but the gearbox will also require a couple of other bearings too. And all seals of course. The synchros are all good.
Many thanks in advance for your time. Steve

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Hello again mate - I now have a more Hillclimb specific 172 Cup and need the gripper diff with lower final drive. Pure have proposed the lowest 5.25 ratio if the car is not a daily. However, the car is driven to and from Hillclimb venues - sometimes 250 mile round trips - so, ideally, I’d like to find a taller 5th gear set that provides almost standard motorway cruising. Is this at all possible? And are you able to provide an outline quote for installing the complete gripper and new final drive assembly? I realise the new diff requires new diff bearings but the gearbox will also require a couple of other bearings too. And all seals of course. The synchros are all good.
Many thanks in advance for your time. Steve
I’ll drop you a pm mate 👍🏻