ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lowering car

S2000
I was just wondering how long generally it takes people to lower their car. By this I mean fitting new springs to the front and lowering the torsion bar (Mk1 1.4RT) as I hope to do this next week as I have some free time but I really NEED the car for the weekend after so just want to check I will have time to finish the job and not have to leave the car sitting on the drive for a week until I have time to finish it (as is usually the case).

Whatever time you give I'll probably have to multiply by 3 though to allow for me fcuking up as usual :eek:

Thanks.

Megane R26
Took around 2hr30 inc time to go get the right tools for lowering my Mk1 172. Me and old man never done springs, so was quite fun. But I would suggest having the whole day, just incase of any problems. And don't do it on sunday when half the bloddy shops are clossed and have to go to Halfrauds :/

S2000
lol, well I should be off on sunday part of monday and part of tuesday but I have some other things I need to do as well. I'll be doing it myself though somay take a while longer. I'll be getting my old man to leave his car at home (i'll just give him a lift to the train station as he usually gets the train anyway) and that way I can go and get anything if I realise I need it.

If you're doing it yourself take it to a garage and get them to loosen the stut top bolts with an airgun. I was doing mine myself and rounded the allen socket on the top by accident as i couldn't get the proper leverage by myself....will make life easier for you too.

The Beast MK4
Give your bolts e.t.c a good spray of WD-40 a day before you start. It can be a b*tch getting them off as you probably know. Or do as above and take it to a garage.

S2000
I'll probably try and lossen the strut top bolts myself and then if they aint budging (I won't push my luck and risk rounding them) then I will take it to a garage.

u33db - What did you do - just get the garage to lossen them and then re-tighten them so that you could drive home and then get them off more easily? Just out of interest how did you get them off once you had rounded them?

As for giving the bolts a covering of WD40 - are there any in particular you were meaning as the strut-hub bolts will be pretty easy as I have just put a new hub on the car (one side should be anyway LOL). I just got a breaker bar the other week and I have to say it makes life so much easier.

I've got it down to about hour-hour and a half depending on how rusty everything is.

When i first did it on my tod iirc it took me about 3-4 hours, but only cus i was going very slowley and making sure i didn't everything right

Clio Mk1 Hybrid
Done all mine in a day with no problems. As said above, soak strut tops with WD-40 or Plus Gas, also spray the ends of your torsion bars with WD-40 everyday for a week. Mine came out no problems after doing this.

Just make sure you have every part and tools that you will need.