ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lowering Damage

Just rip them out and get yourself some SPAX VSX kit...... its £250 and lowers by 35mm and will be much better than just springs for handling

rik, no worries there...you can lower 35 to 40 without damaging the shox but in longer terms they WILL wear out quicker than if you remain at normal ride height...and with the lowering, you will tend to feel every crack, bump, pebble on the road...at hi speeds, it is a bit more floaty...

eventually you will have to change your shox to something more matching...stiffer shox, i mean...

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 13 December 2002

I dont see the point in lowering without uprating your shocks..unless you just want to look cool.
Why?

Because you still have a car that rolls round corners... just lowering is just for looks, yeah it will handle slightly better as centre of gravity is lower but its not the same as having matching shocks

Because shocks are just as important as springs for ride and handling. Having std shocks and lowered/hard suspension completly f**ks up the cars balance. Uprated shocks combined with new springs will completely transform your cars roadholding, where a springs would just make things stiffer..and obviously lower.

On my clio (extreme) the shocks are stiff but the suspension is crap, ive no idea why renault have done this as it gives a sporty ride with out the handling.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

so changing the springs would sort your car then.......................wouldnt it;)

and body roll isnt always a bad thing

body roll is a bad thing when cornering... its for people that cant read whats happening... you still will get some body roll with uprated shocks but nowhere near as much..... You cant just have springs as the shocks still have the same travel and will let the car roll the same as before but will be more compressed all the time which wears them out.

Well put Steve.

To be honest i think since some people havent driven many cars they cant appreciate a good handling car, because otherwise youd see where i was coming from.

Body roll is a bad thing..otherwise why bother spending money on new suspension if you have the original problem? Basically to get the most out of your car, performance wise and durability wise you need a good shock/suspension combo.

When it comes to selling your car whod want a clio with shagged shocks?

come on, we all drive a 1.2 clio, as much as i love it, it is only a 1.2 clio.

Say if iwas driving a172 or something a bit more classy then i would spend

a lot money money or shocks etc. I have 40mm springs in my 1.2, does the job. I dont intend to drive a 1.2 for the rest of my life, when i get a new classier car, 172 for example, then i would see the point in spending the extra money.

Thats a good point, i am hesitant about touching my clio at all until i get a 172. Thing is if youve lowered it you might as well go for shocks as well, its not that much money, and you get more enjoyment. You say its only a 1.2 yet youve spent money on it already gritter so why havent you gone for shocks as well? Youve already dented resale so you might as well go the extra bit

Fred where did you get your -60mm springs?

Thats why im keeping all my standard parts..... If it dont sell then I will put it back to normal and sell the moded parts cheap..... End of the day it might only be a 1.2 but I can beat many cars round corners from skill and any mods that will make me go faster round corners is a must for me

H22A7 Accord Type R

............anyone got the K-tec lowering springs? Im stuck between them, Apex or Pi.........think Pi are favourite.........just wondering what the insurance will say if i say im getting new springs on the car............. :confused:

I intend to keep the 1.2 for a few years just, as if i got a 172 now i would probly have to pay about 5 grand for insurance, i need to get my no claims and age built up first. But all the same i do enjoy my car.

Lionel Richie

I got my Pi 60mm springs from Carnoisseur

K-tec springs are JR rebadged i think

Yeah it is a 1.2, so "Performance" aint really an issue!!! LOL!!

so upon lowering your car, other than springs and shocks what else would ned changing? i only want to go 35mm to 40mm.....

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

nothing if your going 35-40mm i wouldnt even change the shocks

your car is diffrent to the 98 on cars