ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lowering MK.I. on 15s.. how low is too low?

FOR SALE: '97 Clio 1.4 RT
Ok, I have a 1997 1.4 RT (phase 3) I have some 15s with 195/45/R15 tyres... anyone with a similar setup comment on lowering and wheel-rub they've had?

I'm too poor for coilovers, so im just getting front dampers & springs. Kits I've seen lower from 30mm, 35mm, 40mm, and 55mm.

I'm probably gonna go with 40mill, I've done the old "look at teh wheel arches and take a guess" but, I have no idea about getting full-lock, and under-braking. Obviously the stiffness would be uprated, so the nose-drop wudnt be so bad under braking.

So... experiences? Advice.

Fank yoo! :)

-Akira

my valver(not an rt i kno) is lowered 60 at front and around 90 or so at the back,
Ive had 15s. 185/55 and didnt rub or catch what so ever on anything, the exhaust caught on bumps etc
I now have 16s, 195/45 and it catches sometimes on full lock, not badly though, sometimes catches with people in back but only goin over bumps very fast.
I kno valvers have wider arches but still something for you to go by.
Aparently though on rts, aslong as you have 195/45 they do not catch at all even lowered 60mm.

Minted! :)

Thanks for that Pattsy, anyone with an RT who can contribute? (Damn you valvers with ur wide arches... *cries* )

-Akira

500bhp Scoob
195/45's... you should be fine with 55mm, i know on my RT that 40mm on 195/50 wheels, its quite close.
Backs dont matter :)

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
my RT has 195/45/15's and is lowered 55mm at the front and around 65mm at the back with no rubbing problems, the only thing i had to take out was the rear arch liners.

Oooh, okay.... now... second problem...

Where to buy?

Larskpeed stock Koni, GMAX and Apex suspension. From what I hear though, SPAX kits are the best for value for money decent-lowering. (their non-adjustable dampers & spring kits) so, anyone have a headsup on the best place to buy suspension?

Need to rip off my wheels tomorrow and measure between my strut-holding bolt...things... fun

-Akira

Mine is 55mm on WELL settled springs, so prolly about 60mm, scrubs a bit on full lock wiht my track tyres on (195/50), and sometimes catches ont eh top of the arch on full lock if you have one wheel at the front raised (suspension there compressed).....oh and it absoloutly takes chuncks out of the tyres on oppersite lock, lol

Best place by far is www.motorsportworld.com (or .co.uk)

ur slammed by 60mm patty? What about speed "pillows" I hate those things so friggin' much... do ya get some scrapin' of ya drapin'?

( I had a bad experience in the past with a clio-dangling mid-box :p the sound going over speed pillows.... I still hear the scraping at night... :( )

-Akira

mines 60 on front and 90 on back and it hates speed "pillow"/bumps, bottom of my ktec back box is nearly flat from all the scrapin its done lol, ill get some pics up of it if you want sat on 16s! and the damaged box lol

Rb 182
Mines is 50mm on old springs and shocks (coliovers soon :)) with 195/50/15 and it scrubs on the inner arches, it some times catches on the top of the arch when cornering fast but just had them rolled so shouldnt be a problem.

heres a pic.

daddybrakes2.gif

Punto/Clio GTT
195/50 15's, 55 mil springs front with the small plastic bits of the arch liner that connect to the bumper took out, doesnt catch on anythin.
frontwheelghk3.gif

backend dropped 3 splines on torsion 80/85 mil, also with bottom plastic arch liner thing that connects to the bumper took out. scrapes if i go over speedhumps too fast, so just take em at a sensible speed on drivers side 2 wheels, no problems with exhaust catching either.

IM000056.jpg

i reccomend 195/50's over 45's, a much nicer ride with the 50's imo

How does it handle being lower at the back than the front? Aren't you taking a lot of weight off the front wheels? Do you get a bunch of wheel spin? or is it relatively insignificant due to how little of the clio's weight is at the back of the car?

Anyhoo, this is all being very educational! :) so keep it up :)

-Akira

The ideal hight is the back end about 20mm or so higher than the back, as the car sits naturaklly, wiht eh back end too hgih you will tend to go more towards overstear, and with the arse end so low it will just undderstear for England.

That is not 90mm!!!

Mine is 50-60mm and yours is only sat about 10mm lower then mine

Punto/Clio GTT
measured it against petes standard phase 3 and also another clio maxim that came into work, both were between 80-85 mil lower than standard height. so yours must be lower than 50-60 if mines only 10 mil lower.

6/468 17poo
Go 60mm front and do the rear 50mm as it handles really well, plus if your buying shocks you need to measure the gap between the 2 bolts on the front shocks!
lowering on springs will be rubbish on corners iv put konis on the 1.4 and handles like a dream.it was on springs and was rubbish on the bends!get shocks!

beatjunkie said:
Go 60mm front and do the rear 50mm as it handles really well, plus if your buying shocks you need to measure the gap between the 2 bolts on the front shocks!
lowering on springs will be rubbish on corners iv put konis on the 1.4 and handles like a dream.it was on springs and was rubbish on the bends!get shocks!

Completely agree:cool:

6/468 17poo
Cheers Lunner at least someone agrees with me, i had the same conversation with someone at work (halfrauds) and they said that springs are the best way and lower the rear to the floor!!!ah well-some people eh!!!
Ryan

*checks bank balance...*
Will post pics once lowered!

Where did we all get our suspension from then? Make sure im not missing any bargains before I order off larkspeed or motorsportworld...

-Akira

6/468 17poo
you need to measure the front struts before you order this can be 52mm/54mm or even 58mm!good places to order, motorsportworld.co.uk
usually pretty good with their stuff, i ordered mine through work as it was the same price!