ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mac advice please

Rav4
You can get viruses on pretty much anything.

People who make them, aim more towards the win market as the percentage of win over mac in most households is substantionally larger.

Ummm, didnt think you could get Viruses on a MAC tbh? Maybe im wrong.....

Clio 172 Cup
did some digging..

Macintoshes have far fewer security problems. According to a 2001 UK government report by Satchell and Peeling, "There are about 60,000 viruses known for Windows, 40 or so for the Macintosh, about 5 for commercial Unix versions, and perhaps 40 for Linux." That was in 2001; since then there have been thousands more Windows viruses, and only a few Mac viruses.

..so there is a risk albeit a much smaller one..

Fiesta ST
did some digging..

Macintoshes have far fewer security problems. According to a 2001 UK government report by Satchell and Peeling, "There are about 60,000 viruses known for Windows, 40 or so for the Macintosh, about 5 for commercial Unix versions, and perhaps 40 for Linux." That was in 2001; since then there have been thousands more Windows viruses, and only a few Mac viruses.

..so there is a risk albeit a much smaller one..

That report was 8 years ago! Macs are far more popular today and so there is viruses out there.

Fiat Panda 100hp
+2

I don't use AV on mine, although I do have the above. Had my mac 2years now and ran a scan 6months ago with nothing found.

Clio 182FF
Mac OS X is built on Linux and people don't really bother to write viruses for them - had Macs for 10 years or more and never had a problem!

Scirocco GT 2.0
funny-pictures-apple-commercial-cat.jpg