ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mac and Windows - help required!

Clio 182
I need to get my Logitech webcam running through standard MSN - either I can buy a new Windows based cheap laptop or I guess I can run Windows on the Mac now??

To run Windows on the Mac, what do I need to do?

Focus ST
Virtual PC

This lets you run windows on a mac. Next problem is that you won't be able to get many drivers for the web cam ona mac running windows?? I don't think anyway...

Clio 182
What's virtual PC?

I have a copy of XP from my old laptop, could I load that? What is Boot Camp?

basic explanations required :S

Focus ST
Virtual PC - Windows software written to be run on a mac.
Last time I looked (not very recently), PC Windows software won't run on a Mac i.e. XP.

Clio 182
MattT said:
Would it not be cheaper and easier to buy a mac compatible web cam?

I can't run it via MSN though, I can't even get MSN working on the Mac... I have to use emessenger...

Thanks for the replies guys, but doesn't look like I can do what I need to do then?

Gweebs said:
Virtual PC - Windows software written to be run on a mac.
Last time I looked (not very recently), PC Windows software won't run on a Mac i.e. XP.

XP installs on the new Intel Mac's..

Karen said:
I can't run it via MSN though, I can't even get MSN working on the Mac... I have to use emessenger...

Thanks for the replies guys, but doesn't look like I can do what I need to do then?

Do you need video calling?
I'd recommend www.adiumx.com if you don't.. it's an awesome client.

iChat works with the iSight very well.. but, it won't connect to MSN unfortunatly.

The problem with MSN is, it's rubbish :p.. it's only "good" cus' everyone uses it.. hehh.

Clio 182
Daz said:
Do you need video calling?
I'd recommend www.adiumx.com if you don't.. it's an awesome client.

iChat works with the iSight very well.. but, it won't connect to MSN unfortunatly.

The problem with MSN is, it's rubbish :p.. it's only "good" cus' everyone uses it.. hehh.

Video calling, Im not sure what it is? Basically I am looking into making money from the webcam so I need it to run via msn and yahoo and be very reliable...

Karen said:
Video calling, Im not sure what it is? Basically I am looking into making money from the webcam so I need it to run via msn and yahoo and be very reliable...

does it involve you performing lewd sex acts on camera ??

Clio 182
McBunny said:
does it involve you performing lewd sex acts on camera ??

depends what you call lewd? Basically at the moment, I just need to know if it is possible to get the cam running reliably on the Mac...

Clio 182
cool! will give it a go although I am a little scared at upsetting the Mac...

Has anyone tried Boot Camp, any problems with it??

As I understand it you basically just install XP onto a different partition and boot from there. XP will then run natively and should behave exactly as if it were a PC. I'd recommend getting a real mouse though, none of that one button rubbish ;)

Clio 182
Roy Munson said:
As I understand it you basically just install XP onto a different partition and boot from there. XP will then run natively and should behave exactly as if it were a PC. I'd recommend getting a real mouse though, none of that one button rubbish ;)

I love my Mac mouse! I'm forever squeezing my mouse at work at the sides to change screens forgetting it doesn't work like my Mac one!

Karen said:
I love my Mac mouse! I'm forever squeezing my mouse at work at the sides to change screens forgetting it doesn't work like my Mac one!

That's because they rule.

Sounds like you have a mighty mouse? That works fine with the "right click" nonsense in Windows :)

Clio 182
Daz said:
That's because they rule.

Sounds like you have a mighty mouse? That works fine with the "right click" nonsense in Windows :)

Yep I have! How does it work with the right click stuff on Windows btw??

Just right click works as right click.. exactly the same as OSX.

Not sure how the other buttons work.. scroll works fine, too. (That's how far I got with testing it, heh)

Revels Mum & Sister
I am running Xp via Boot camp on my Mac Mini.

Works a charm and runs very fast and stable. Wont have problems with the webcam, also when you install the Boot camp it makes a driver disk for you as well. So Have a blank CD on hand. Pretty simple process. Just follow the instructions

Clio 182
Rasclart said:
I am running Xp via Boot camp on my Mac Mini.

Works a charm and runs very fast and stable. Wont have problems with the webcam, also when you install the Boot camp it makes a driver disk for you as well. So Have a blank CD on hand. Pretty simple process. Just follow the instructions

So no problems at all with it??