ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Macbook updating + Win 7 - Query

SLK 350
Thought there's enough fanboys on here to pop a question at ;)

The GF has an intel Macbook which currently is running Tiger, today I was planning to update it to Snow Leopard, and via Bootcamp install Windows 7 x64 Ultimate.

Is there anything I need to be wary of? From my understanding I was planning to do a clean format and install of Snow Leopard, then once up and running use (the included??) Bootcamp to partition and install Windows 7.

Can you confirm this is correct, as I've never touched Bootcamp, or dabbled with OSX installs.

Thanks

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Yep, that's right. I followed the exact same process on my iMac. Minus the SL upgrade, obviously.

Can I ask why you're using bootcamp?

Bootcamp is ok if you want a dual boot scenario - so you can choose OSX or Windows 7

But if you run VMWare Fusion you can run Windows 7 64bit in a virtual machine within OS X

This means you can boot the windows install up whenever you need it and close it when you don't without leaving OS X

Also you can run windows-only apps using vmware without having the whole OS open - so effectively windows only apps running inside OS X

That's what I do - as I use internet explorer in windows 7 a lot for website testing - and a few apps (sat nav and speed camera updates) only run in windows :)

SLK 350
Cheers Chris.

Did you have any issues when partitioning the drives for NTFS?

Fuzzy, well it's for the Mrs, I think the less complexity the better, although I do appreciate it could be more convenient to go down the VM route. How well does the VM function within OSX? Any niggles?

When you insert the the SL disc, there's no direct option to erase and install if you let it boot through to the desktop.

You have to press C as it's loading. But you probably knew that..

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
I have windows 7 in dual boot and find I have used it once in the last 3 weeks. Gonna uninstall and just run when needed in VMWare

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Can I ask why you're using bootcamp?

Bootcamp is ok if you want a dual boot scenario - so you can choose OSX or Windows 7

But if you run VMWare Fusion you can run Windows 7 64bit in a virtual machine within OS X

This means you can boot the windows install up whenever you need it and close it when you don't without leaving OS X

Also you can run windows-only apps using vmware without having the whole OS open - so effectively windows only apps running inside OS X

That's what I do - as I use internet explorer in windows 7 a lot for website testing - and a few apps (sat nav and speed camera updates) only run in windows :)

If you install windows in bootcamp then you have the choice of either booting it native in bootcamp or using VMware to boot the bootcamp partition.

Installing via bootcamp is the best method as it offers both the "full speed" (bootcamp) and convenince (virtual machine) options.

Oh (and I'm sure it's just bad phrasing on your part) and when you're running VMware in coherance mode, the whole OS is still open, vmware just hooks into the OS to make the windows appear as OS X windows, this is mighty slow though and super annoying.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Bootcamp because you have the option of booting it in a virtual machine, you can't do the opposite if you create a pure virtual machine.

The bit about coherance was just to clarify that when you're in coherance mode the whole os is still loaded, the vm just hides it. It's slower too.

To recap, install using bootcamp because once you have your bootcamp partition installed and working you can then use it in vmware, you get the best of everything.

LOL Yeah i didn't mean it wasn't running - I just meant you didnt have to look at fugly windows

Didn't know the new bootcamp allowed running it in VM as well though - thats awesome and I stand corrected

Monaro VXR
Since no one has said it yet...As you have a tiger machine, likely a bit older. You may have issues with installing boot camp 3.0 in windows 7 for the x64 drivers. If you get the message, "Boot Camp x64 is unsupported on this computer model"

What you will need to do in windows 7 once it is installed is.

Browse the bootcamp CD

Go to the “Boot Camp/Drivers/Apple" directory.

Then go to the bootcamp64.msi file, right click and select troubleshoot compatibility. What this will do is basically bypass apples version check and install bootcamp 3.0 as normal.

Once that is done get the 3.1 update from.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL979

Run that as administrator and should be up to date and working fine.

Had to do the same on my early 2009 Macbook.

SLK 350
The biggest hurdle so far is the fact the fking thing only has a CDRW, makes installing the 6GB .ISO a bit of a problem. Will Mac's boot from USB flash drives if I unpack the .ISO?

Think it's 2008, and no DVDRW drive... Pap!

Any other ideas?

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Anybody? :)

Failing booting from a USB pen, will MB's boot from USB DVD drives if I got a hold of one?

Yes.

With regards to the USB stick, no idea if bootcamp will work like that. You can create bootable os x images on a USB stick, but I'm not sure how bootcamp would handle it. I'd ask google on that one.

LY 182

Sorry to bump an old thread. Just wanted to double check with the Mac sluts.

From the quote above, say I have a .csv file in my documents. I want to edit the contents of the file with CSVed. (http://csved.sjfrancke.nl/ - Windows only program). Once the file is edited I want to upload it to my dedicated server.

So my question is can I open up the .csv from the Mac documents, edit it with the Windows app and have it remain in my Mac documents so I can then upload it to my server via Transmit. (Mac FTP type program).