ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Macbook upgrades

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
I've been looking at selling my macbook recently as it's not often I use it. I have however the last week been using it for downloads and photo editing. Unfortunately it's not the fastest machine out there for photo editing.

question is, is it worth upgrading the ram to 2 x 2gb and changing the hard drive to a 120gb SSD as I have a large has drive that my media is stored on.

The cost is around £150 from crucial however I have £50 amazon vouchers so would look to utilise these for the Ssd.

also is is easy for a complete novice to upgrade the ram and hard drive?

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
Depends on the model - which do you have? Turn it over and find the model number, should start with an "A"

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
I know 4gb is pathetic, however unfortunately its all the standard macbook will take.

and yes £150 is for the HDD and the RAM.

Anyway, as said which is the best to get first?

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
In my opinion, SSD.

Biggest bottleneck in any system, within reason, is spinning media. When you have to load something or open a new application, it has to fetch it from the disk and place into RAM, so to speed it up you can implement much faster storage. That being said, if you don't have much available RAM, it has to swap to disk frequently to keep the most active memory in RAM, so ideally you'll need both!

4GB is fine, provided you don't try and load 10.8 or 10.9 on it. I'd stick with something stable and less memory intensive like Snow Leopard, provided that you can run all of your applications on it.

Cheers
Rhys

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Be nice to know what mac it is.

Totally agree with the above (except to add ram too as its so cheap), SL is a good shout because it has TRIM support.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
[video=youtube_share;2_vdbj8y5Zk]http://youtu.be/2_vdbj8y5Zk[/video]
Tom LOL

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Wow, didn't expect results like that seb.I figured if I'm opening the macbook I may as well only do it the once..going to treat myself on payday.

Is it worth getting the 240gb ssd over a 120gb bearing in mind I have a 2tb nas drive?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
That machine is far from low spec, it will run mavericks easy and with an SSD + 8GB will be an extremely decent machine.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Just found these two quotes:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...13-polycarbonate-unibody-late-2009-specs.html
*Apple officially supports a maximum of 4 GB of RAM, but third-parties have confirmed that it actually supports 8 GB of RAM.

http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/16998/Max+ram+in+mid-2010+MacBook
8gb are listed on everymac: CLICK here for the alturl redirection (since the pasted links from everymac are always changed)

Edited by: markus weiher ( May 21 2010 )
Good reference +
rj713, Oct 13 2010

The MacBook (Mid-2010) has the same chipset as the 13" MacBook Pro (2010), so it too can support 8GB of RAM. Apple only says that you can expand up the 4GB, but you can install more than that. When expanding the memory always use this type: DDR3 @ 1066 MHz. Installing DDR3 1333 may work, but the chipset will run it at 1066 because of the frontside bus. Just to be safe, use the memory I specified.
Jon Fukumoto, Mar 13 2011

+ @markus great answer. @Jon What you say about the 1333MHz is not really true that the FSB/chipset will determine the RAM speed. On many modern laptops/computers the RAM has it's own crystal to determine RAM frequency/speed. Apple incorporates a separate RAM bus using it's own crystal/oscillator on many of it's boards since moving to Intel.

ABCellars, Jan 7 2012

Looks like ill be going for 8gb. Cheers for your help guys!

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Perfect, ill get them ordered when i get in. Lets hope i can follow the simple instruction videos online now!

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
LOL fair enough. Ill only need 120gb so ill get the one that Will. has posted.

Hopefully it will feel like a completely new machine!

ST1050, 320d
I upgraded my old MBP from 2gb RAM to 4gb (the most it will run is 6gb) and added a 120gb SSD, made a huge difference. Well worth it.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
I'm guessing for the most basic of stuff (running Mavericks) you're unlikely to see a performance increase from upgrading your ram from 8GB to 16GB?