ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Macbook wont boot up

FF RB 182
and I cannot find my leopard start up disk anywhere!

Can I use someone elses leopard disk to start it?

Anyone had this problem with the macbooks?

Its only a year and two months old.

Boyfriend did a spyware search on it and everything went slow so he turned it off and now it wont start up, just goes onto the white screen :(. very unhappy after spending a grand on it I do not expect it to brake after a year! I've got extra protection on it but stil need the disk if have to send it away to be fixed. It apparently could probably be the hard drive or possibly the software. Think he just fobbing me off. He also told be that there are no problems with this range of mac, after I told him I had read that someones 9month old mac hard drive pact in. They do run very hot tho.

Uh just so annoyed.

I need to find this disk? Can you buy them by any chance?

Citroen DS3 DSport
Yeah you can buy Leopard or try to get a loan of a disc from someone else.

Have you tried holding the option key while switching on to see if you can select the boot drive or not?

133, 182, Kangoo 182
Leopard discs are model specific. You'll have to either get a generic Leopard disc or one that came with a MacBook.

LY 200
^^ From my experiences the Main one is this:

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM
  1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.

FF RB 182
Thanks guys. Have a feeling its not leopard but the earlier one now lol.

My friend if sending me her copy of the start up disk. She got hers 7 months before me so hoping it will work. Its worth a try. :)

FF RB 182
^^ From my experiences the Main one is this:

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM
  1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.

I take it command is apple but which one is option? Sorry im a bit thick :D

LY 200
the two to the left of the spacebar :approve:

2002486447_f0036dc4a0.png

FF RB 182
What happens when you use the Option key to boot it up, does it give boot options?

It brings up the HDD and any CD in it.

Boyfriend has spent ages on it. He got a linux live CD, backed up as many files as he could that aren't corrupted, then used the disk utility on the tiger install disc. That showed an error with the HFS volume, so he tried the repair disc option, which did nothing.

He has also wiped the disc clean and tried reinstalling tiger, but on the 2nd disc, it freezes and won't load the OS to the HDD.

It wouldn't start verbose and single user mode, but did find a lot of invalid nodes on the HDD.

He thinks the HDD is a goner TBH. I'm currently using the mac with said live CD, so at least we can trawl the web for answers.

FF RB 182
Already doing option B, off to meadowhall in a few hours.

Rang applecare, they were useless.

FF RB 182
They rang yesterday saying it's fixed, but we wouldn't have got there before closing time, and meadowhall is closed today. Getting it back tomorrow. Apparently someone was going to get a HDD replaced but cancelled it, so they put it in mine.

FF RB 182
Sounds good. Told you it wouldn't take long. Did you have any of your stuff backed up?

Gaz managed to recover a fair bit using the live CD, but I've lost some Uni work, luckily I can get it when I go back on monday.

FF RB 182
GOT IT BAAAAACK!

Picked it up this morning.

Its booting up quite slowly... Now uploading and d/l'ing the stuff I lost :)

RS Cosworth & Clio 172
Good luck getting that fixed, you say its booting up slowly still? Mine did that after they supposedly fixed the same problem - i've been using Apple computers for 15 years at work and home and i think the macbook that i have at the moment for work is the worst machine i've ever had by a long shot.

It had the same problem you mention plus, it would keep getting to that screen and re-starting itself in an endless cycle. Our local Apple Store were helpful-ish with it, truth is after taking it back 6 times, they ended up giving me a new machine even though it was out of warrenty after they had replaced the hard drive and memory - they thought in the end it was the logic board which costs nearly as much as the machine to have repaired. The old machine also overheated so it had a new back panel and charge element, the battery was rubbish on it, it took 3 minutes to boot up, the screen and key board had to be replaced, and the top facia by the track pad was replaced twice.

The replacement machine however has been great, not a problem at all and it is much faster than the old one. I also have a 4 year old i-book at home, and that has never had any issues what so ever hence i've not replaced it.

FF RB 182
Odd, apple seem really defensive when you say there's problems with their products.

As for the boot up, it just seems to take a lot longer than before.

RS Cosworth & Clio 172
yes, they do get defensive. I've owned, used for work or set up over 60 Mac's of different specs, and that Macbook i had was terrible. The problem that I found was that there is a varying amount of knowledge by the staff in the stores.

Exactly what spec is the machine? and how long is it taking to restart, and boot up from turned off?

FF RB 182
Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB21.00A5.B07
SMC Version: 1.17f0
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

That's taken from system profiler. It just takes maybe 30 seconds or so, used to seem to take less. It isn't a big issue TBH.

RS Cosworth & Clio 172
15 to 30 seconds is about right for that machine - have you got any applications that are set to "start up" when the machine is switched on as this can slow down boot up. It might be worth checking the Console utility to ensure that it isn't doing anything it shouldn't be when booting up (i saw a machine once that was running a disk permission repair on start up that caused all sorts of start up headaches).

FF RB 182
Can anyone recommend me a good backup program and a anti virus system?

and turnby what type of maintenance those two apps for?

Yaris
and turnby what type of maintenance those two apps for?

Onyx:It allows you to verify the Startup Disk and the structure of its System files, to run misc tasks of system maintenance, to configure some hidden parameters of the Finder, Dock, Dashboard, Exposé, Safari, Login window and of some of Apple's own applications, to delete caches, to remove a certain number of files and folders that may become cumbersome and more.
http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs/english.html

XSlimmer:Remove unnecessary code from fat binaries. Xslimmer determines which code your machine needs and removes the rest. This is achieved by removing the code inside the Universal Binaries that does not fit with your machine's architecture, a code that never gets executed and just wastes your disk space.
Strip out unneeded languages. Safari is available in more than a dozen languages, Adium in more than 20. This is great, but how many of those do you need? Xslimmer allows you to select how many languages you want to preserve in your apps and will remove the rest, recovering lots of precious free space from your disk.
http://www.xslimmer.com/