ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Macro lens for Nikon

"Navy" N17 TWO
I already have a few lenses for the D90, just need to know do I need a "macro lens" to get the close-up shots I need.
A best mate wants me to get a few good shots of an engagement ring so I said I'll give it a go

I tried with the 50mm f1.8 but still felt I was too far away from the ring before it was in focus :(

What lens would you use for this?

Cheers
Trev

Fiesta ST-3
You can get some 300mm macro lense. I've taken close ups with a 200 non macro. I wouldn't buy one just for one shoot though? lol

"Navy" N17 TWO
Oh no way wouldn't be that keen on it lol

I have the Sigma 70-300mm macro enabled lens and the Sigma 24-70mm f.28 but I'd still like to get closer :)

182 & Porsche 986
i have the nikon 105mm micro lens, its fantastic, i dont use my 50mm anymore and it has nothing on a real macro lens.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Heard good reports about the 105mm - is it versatlie enough too that you can use it for portraits....or just macro alone?

PS - is that the VR version?

Last edited:
  182 & Porsche 986

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Rent one?
I took a ring pic without a macro and it seemed alreet

Macro is a gimmick.

The 50mm should focus fine at about 30cm away. Just crop them.

A gimmick?! Is that why so many manufacturers make proper macro lenses?!

I've got the 60mm f2.8D macro lens. There's no way I could get similar shots with the 50mm or any other lens I have for that matter. That's a cracking lens btw, check it out if you want a good lens.

The 105mm VR is another awesome lens, we use them at work. Loads of good reviews too.

RS Megane DCi 175
You could look at extension tubes to use with the 50mm too. At least you keep the AF then & get a little more versatility than with the reverser ring.
Cheaper alternative to a dedicated Macro lens - although I have to disagree with Macro being a gimmick!

I also agree that you don't need a dedicated Macro lens, standard zooms can do the job.

taken with a 40-150mm:

4896958791_042c954cc5_b.jpg

A standard zoom can do the job but you don't get super closer, might be ok for one ring shot mind!

Tubes are an option with a 50mm, the more you add the trickier it gets, heres a shot of an old set up...
N73027.jpg

And some shots.. old ones infact, feck me 4 years ago...
IMG_6416-PS.jpg

IMG_3348-PS.jpg

and the shallow DoF is a nightmare but when you get things right...
IMG_0046-PS-Small.jpg

"Navy" N17 TWO
Looks a good job that :)

I got that reversing ring in the post today and just tried it - what settings/mode would you reccomend using that with?

I tried it with the 50mm wide open (f1.8) and had to bump the ISO up to about 1600 before I could see anything more and a pure Black image :eek:
Going by a quick experiment with it, am I right thinking you need LOTS of light for this to work?

182 & Porsche 986
you need to work opposite to what your normally would as everything is backwards! so try using a much lower f stop like 5.0