ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

make my 1.2 a cup

2002 1.2 16v dynamique
ive got a 1.2 16v and would love more than anything to have a 172, 182 cup but i cant afford it and i was wondering what the main differences are between a box standard clio and a sport apart from the obvious (engine) gearbox suspension and brakes, if a little money was spent on some of these areas would my car be as fast or faster than a sport as the engine and some other components are lighter would this work?

a turbo'd yellow car
:eek: no my friend! you could spend asmuch as you want but your car would never be in the same class as a cup! save your money and get a sport when you have or can afford it! don't waste time and dolla on a 1.2! :S

Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
If you could get your car down to about 300kg's in weight you might be close....but I think you'd be struggling lol!

Without a lot more power you wouldn't even get close to a 2 litre sport...phase 1 172's are down to around £2k aren't they? Couldn't you swap yours in for one of those?

M2 Competition
Rather than upgrading yours, sell and buy a 172.

You'll spend more money swapping bits than you would selling and buying one.

a turbo'd yellow car
If you could get your car down to about 300kg's in weight you might be close....but I think you'd be struggling lol!

Without a lot more power you wouldn't even get close to a 2 litre sport...phase 1 172's are down to around £2k aren't they? Couldn't you swap yours in for one of those?

:lolup: the engine is about 250-300kgs!

whats he going to do, be pulled along aha!

so if i strip my cup of all excess weight i could keep with renaults f1 car!

vw bora
nah you got now chance my cup make my cousins 1.2 look like its stoped and he's put it in reverse :rasp: lol the ph1 172's are only about 2k-2.5k now so sell yours and buy a ph1

LY 182
:eek: no my friend! you could spend asmuch as you want but your car would never be in the same class as a cup! save your money and get a sport when you have or can afford it! don't waste time and dolla on a 1.2! :S
you sir are talking rubbish

ever felt the difference in weight between a 1.2 assembled front subframe and the same from a 172????

mines on 1.2 running gear and has survived 5k of abuse so far

a turbo'd yellow car
you sir are talking rubbish

ever felt the difference in weight between a 1.2 assembled front subframe and the same from a 172????

mines on 1.2 running gear and has survived 5k of abuse so far

lol good for you! :)

the kid aint talking about putting a 2L into the car thoe just spending athew pennys on it!

vw bora
how much have you spent on your 1.2 to make it 182.6bhp because i bet you could buy the real deal for that instead of messing about with a 1.2

vw bora
oh and id just like to add if you get pulled by the rozzers in that they will bend you over and take your verginity because of that engine in a 1.2 lol

vw bora
because i bett it aint on the books as a 2L still a 1.2! hence why he has probley done the convertion! to mug us lot off who pay their insurance!

i could be wrong thoe! but why elss would you do it?

yeah thats exactly it because its not on the books so when it comes to mot time its not a legit mot so they will scank you for the road tax, no mot, no insurance among other things not worth doing if you ask me

MCS R56
ive got a 1.2 16v and would love more than anything to have a 172, 182 cup but i cant afford it and i was wondering what the main differences are between a box standard clio and a sport apart from the obvious (engine) gearbox suspension and brakes, if a little money was spent on some of these areas would my car be as fast or faster than a sport as the engine and some other components are lighter would this work?

If only, we'd all be driving 1.2's! If you could afford to convert your 1.2 to compete with a Sport, you could afford a Sport.

Storm Grey 200
i could be wrong thoe! but why elss would you do it?

Maybe he is stuck with the car on finance and wanted more power? Theres hundreds of reasons. Maybe he had a rear ended 172 and wanted more power on the cheap? Doesnt have to be to defraud people...

a turbo'd yellow car
Maybe he is stuck with the car on finance and wanted more power? Theres hundreds of reasons. Maybe he had a rear ended 172 and wanted more power on the cheap? Doesnt have to be to defraud people...

maybe yes maybe! maybe pigs fly to! anywho lets get back to the point!

acouple of quid on a 1.2 will not get it anywhere as good as a cup! :approve:

the end!!

Did you ever think some people might just like the challenge of converting their car to a 2.0l? Also iirc a converted one is cheaper to insure and tax than a proper sport (even if it is declared), so if you end up with an uber cheap engine and can do the work yourself your probably cheaper, and theres also the enjoyment factor of achieving something like that.

Back on topic however, no there is no amount of money you can throw at a 1.2 to give it the same straight line speed as a 2.0 without actually putting a 2.0 in.

Stagecoach Ticket
If you stripped a 1.2 down to bare minium and spent anough money to could make it faster than a cup, would NOT be worth doing but it could be done.

T28 turbo conversion
Re-map
Itg Maxgon
Cams
etc etc you could proberly get into cup level performance

vw bora
If you stripped a 1.2 down to bare minium and spent anough money to could make it faster than a cup, would NOT be worth doing but it could be done.

T28 turbo conversion
Re-map
Itg Maxgon
Cams
etc etc you could proberly get into cup level performance

but its back to the price again still not worth doing and the lag off the t28 would be stupid on a 1.2 as you would only have 100bhp max (with all those mods aswell) to pull the car before the turbo kicks

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
When I enquired about getting a hyrbid before I got the Williams and I declared the engine swap the insurer they wanted the car independantly tested to DVLA standards. The insurance would also be classed as the same car the engine came from.

Too much hassle for me.

Unless you could do the work yourself the fee's would be massive. Don't think you do yourself any favours in terms of resell proceeds either.

Last edited:
  Stagecoach Ticket
"but its back to the price again still not worth doing and the lag off the t28 would be stupid on a 1.2 as you would only have 100bhp max (with all those mods aswell) to pull the car before the turbo kicks"

I did say price would not be worth doing lol and surely with
*Performance cams
*de cat performance exhaust
*ITG Maxogen
*Re Map
*All hoses changed
*Oil breathers
*Performance plugs and oil

you would get more than 100bhp??

Maybe opt to change to a T23 is it? or some form of super charger?

It would be do able surely would just take alot of engineering

320d
The best way to improve performance on a 1.2 would be to strip it, decat it, coilies, leightweigh alloys and the best tyres on the market.

Obviously that isnt the best possible setup but it is probably the best cost v improvement setup.

imo of course

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
^ If your upgrading to a 1*2 with 1 years no claims then your a mug. Insurance will rape you dry mate.

if you type "mod chip" into ebay you'll find this amazing chip thingy that gives you an extra 25bhp for just £24.99

That'll get u started yeh?

Meg R26 + Mk4 GTTDI
if it was easy to make a 1.2 as fast as the cup we would all do it and there would be no need for the cup...

i'll have some of whatever yours smoking:)

RARE Unmolested Corsa sxi
im hunting myself down a 182 in the new year. I will be 23 with 4 years exp and 3 years no claims.

BMW E92/Audi S3
Keep the shell, get rid of everything (including the engine) and let it roll down the road. (Same weight as a cup)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I'm upgrading to something. I'll be 19, 2 year experience, 1NCB

People have had 1*2's with those details before.

Also considering a 1.6 16v clio or a saxo vts/106gti

Exactly.

1.6 isn't as bad as a 1.2 to live with. I'd be tempted to try a diesel if I were you. Cheaper running costs will definately not go un-noticed. But more importantly, they're nicer to drive than small engined petrols.

If you just want a hot hatch or something like that I'd steer clear from 172s personally until you're 21+ as it's just not worth the insurance premiums you'll be paying.

2002 1.2 16v dynamique
it was not really a question of making the car quicker than a cup but just changing a few things like the suspension, brakes wheels and strip it out, i already have some pro race 1.2 alloys so round the twisties it would surely be close to a 2.L without the straight line speed, lets face it you cant go everywhere at 100mph

MCS R56
it was not really a question of making the car quicker than a cup but just changing a few things like the suspension, brakes wheels and strip it out, i already have some pro race 1.2 alloys so round the twisties it would surely be close to a 2.L without the straight line speed, lets face it you cant go everywhere at 100mph

Eh...no!

Not a chance

vw bora
Eh...no!

Not a chance

well said mate lol what ever you do its never going to be quicker unless you have more money than sense and then theres still no chance lol, and just to answer the bloke a few above you wont get any more than 100bhp doing all that because you only start with 75bhp and to gain 25bhp on a 1.2 is very hard and expensive and what i mean is you will have very limited power and grunt before the added power of the turbo comes in at around 3k so by that time it will be bye bye from the cup :rasp: