ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Make My Picture Better?

MK2 Clio
Hi, I like taking pictures but am about as brilliant photographer as the average 16yo girl...
I am using a Fuji S1730 - 12mp (Not DSLR but hopefully better than a standard compact)
I took a few pictures last night and have two main questions,
1) How should you photograph cars, (flash no flash, do I really need a tripod etc)
2) What would you do to post process any of these to make them better?

I know people are going to tell me they are shocking. But thats why I'm asking for advice.

DSCF9987.jpg

DSCF9968.jpg

DSCF9967.jpg

DSCF9966.jpg

DSCF9943.jpg

DSCF9855.jpg

dcig1.jpg

Particularly would like to take pictures like this 1 ^ and make them look better...

Thanks in advance

Looking for 182
Some of your photos are incorrectly exposed, suffer from camera shake, or are just generally flat and boring (the seat photo for example).

I think you should start over and stick to taking photos in daylight to begin with. Concentrate on exposure, composition, focus. Think about what you're taking a photo of, what do you want to be the focal point? Is it interesting? What's in the background, does it clutter the photo or add to it? If it clutters, do something about it.

Also, read up about white balance.

Sorry if this isn't much help. Long day at work followed by "I hate my job beers" has meant I am typing wihout thinking.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
You need to use a tripod, flash off and long exposure.

Dont think your camera will take external flash's so use a torch to light up the subject if required.

Thats the basic principles, but it is harder in practice

MK2 Clio
Tripod. Get lower. It rarely works with the roof in view.

Then practice practice practice.

How can you use a tripod and get lower? If I remember I wasn't even stood up properly so the tripod would be higher would it not?

You need to use a tripod, flash off and long exposure.

Dont think your camera will take external flash's so use a torch to light up the subject if required.

Thats the basic principles, but it is harder in practice

External Flash?

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
One thing I think you are doing in correct that can help you lots is... pressing the shutter button.

It doesn't look as if you are 'half pressing'. If you look through the view finder you will see a little targeting square. Aim that at your car half press the button and it will focus on the car, keeping your finger half pressed now frame your picture.

Im guessing you are still using the automated functions on your camera, Your cam looks like a bridge camera the meeting point of a dslr and a compact. It should have a manual mode. The sooner you start using this the better you will be able to control how bright your photos are then a tripod is crucial IMO and they are cheap as chips.

You want to try and stay clear of your on-cam flash, They are horrid in most situations but on a car photo they will do nothing but halm, they do not have the power to lift the lighting of a car at and range. I wouldn't recommend looking into off camera flashes yet as its a huge can'o'worms'.

Your composition isnt bad at all though!