ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MAP Sensor P0100 Fault Code

Clio 172 Mk2
Hey all

Having a bit of a problem with my friends 1.1 clio (2003). He's had the engine management light lit up on his dash for a few weeks now. Hooked it up to a diagnostics reader the other day and it came up with the code P0100 Mass or Volume Air flow Circuit A Malfunction. We purchased a new MAP sensor thinking this would cure it but its made no difference, as soon as you clear the code it comes back and the management light won't go off. Is there anything else i can check?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Is it a D7F or a D4F (8v or 16v)? Either way, its 99% going to be wiring related rather than the MAP Sensor itself - Do you have access to a Digital Multi Meter?

You need to ensure the wiring is continuous between the sensor and the ECM. Also, make sure the sheathing isn't damaged especially around the ECM protection tab as electrical gremlins such as this amoungst other are common problems on the 1.2 16v Clio II's.

Mick

Clio 172 Mk2
thanks so much for replying mick. Its a 16v model. Have checked the cabling out this afternoon on your advice and the sheathing is damaged on one of them! Gonna try replacing it tomorrow. Many many thanks again, hope this sorts it!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Gutted - Next thing then is to check the singals and look for continuity between the sensor and the ECM. For this you will need a digital multi meter or similar approved device commonly reffered to as a "Volt" meter.

Test '1'
Checking the sensor multiplug/outputs

The sensors multiplug itself *should* have 3 wires coming from pins 'A-C' (look at the business end of the plug carefully and you'll see them labelled); 'A' - "Biege", 'B' - "Violet" & 'C' - "Brown".

Meter mode: "DC20" - Ignition "ON" and multiplug disconnected from the sensor. Probe pin 'C' and an earth - You should see around +5v (If so, great. If not, there's your problem... lack of supply voltage - check wiring loom for breaks)
Meter mode: "Ohms 2k" - Ignition "OFF" and multiplug disconnected from the sensor. Probe pin 'A' and earth - You should see around 0.00 to 0.02 Ohms If so, great. If not check wiring for breaks or, with a high reading check condition of earths)
Meter mode: "DC20" - Engine "Idling" and multiplug connected to the sensor. Probe pins 'A' and 'B' - You should see +4.3v (If not, faulty sensor)
Meter mode: "DC20" - Engine "3000 rpm" and multiplug connected to the sensor. Probe pins 'A' and 'B' - You should see +4.1v (If not, faulty sensor)

Test '2'
Checking the wiring infastructure

Again, the sensor multiplug itself *should* have 3 wires coming from pins 'A-C'. These three wires all go to the ECM plug 'B' which is the 48 pin brown multiplug plug on the left as you're looking down on the ECM... if its black I've got it the wrong way round and you still need the brown plug.

The three wires from the MAP Sensor *should* "map" back to plug 'B' at the ECM as below:

• 'MAP Pin' - "Wire Colour" - 'ECM Pin'
  • 'A' - "Biege" - 'F2'
  • 'B' - "Violet" - 'F3'
  • 'C' - "Brown" - 'B2'
You'll need a DMM to trace these connections but set it to "Diode Test" and then probe from one multiplug to the other... this will enable you to do two things. The first is to check for continuity in the wire route itself (Ensure it's going "point to point") and secondly, to see if either of these wires has a short to earth (Meaning its touching something metal and is now continuous with the battery negative terminal).

Now go... play and report back

Mick

Jeep
Hi,

I have followed your recommendations in this thread in order to solve problems we are having with a 2003 D24F Clio

We have had no engine light indication but after performing the tests today my daughter returned home with her Clio and the scanner revealed a P0130 O2 sensor circuit Bank 1Sensor 1 and a P0105 Manifold Abs Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit code.
I cannot see it was something that I did and in fact the engine was running well after the tests.

I measured the voltages at different tachometer readings as follows:-

RPM. Volts
600. 1.18
1000. 1.84
1500. 2.18
2000. 1.93
2500. 1.7

These seem far removed from the 4.3 and 4.1volts
quoted.
Could I have your thoughts on this and any comments about the significance of the P0130 code which has popped up.

Regards

Dave

Jeep
Hi,

They are for the Map Sensor taken between beige and violet with the particular rev count shown.

Regards

Dave

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Looks like you have a faulty MAP sensor then I'm afraid.

Regarding the u/s H02 I'd personally want to see the output in graph form but it may be you need one of these to for reasons currently unknown... age, faukty heater element, etc