ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Matrix Awakens (Unreal Engine 5) - Console Tech Demo

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the recently released Matrix Awakens tech demo for Xbox Series S/X and PS5 consoles. Ok, so it's a 20GB or so download but it's really worth it if you want to see the sort of stuff that is coming (and achievable) with the forthcoming Unreal Engine 5. It's great to actually have something playable to interact with. I was fortunate enough to get an early look at the demo (a few days prior to release). There is no PC version available at present (#masterrace) so score one to the console players.

I work in this field (and worked on the Unreal Engine and associated tech) and even I am impressed with what the new Lumen and Nanite tech can bring; probably the most impressive thing I've ever seen on a console.

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I think the thing that impressed me the most was the combination of software and hardware path traced lighting. Global illumination handled via software and reflections handled via hardware. The result is astonishing and with a much smaller performance hit that traditional ray tracing.

Chris V6 255

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 255, 182 Trophy
Yeah had a run through on my Series X the other day. Property impressive.

Imagine how GTA 6 could look when it comes out in 10 years time [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Hopefully this will port over to PC quite well on AMD cards seeing as they power PS5 and XSX.

I still have the original Enter the Matrix game on CD-ROM from 2003. Back in the days of DX9!

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
I think the PC is actually on the back foot a bit here. The latest gen consoles have some trick storage and memory architecture which will make PC ports more challenging.

No doubt on the high end you can brute force it but not many people have the budget for those sort of setups.

Demo looks freeeeeking awesome. Not so sure about the gameplay but it’s an astonishing tech demo.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Hopefully this will port over to PC quite well on AMD cards seeing as they power PS5 and XSX.

I still have the original Enter the Matrix game on CD-ROM from 2003. Back in the days of DX9!

It does indeed work well on PC - both AMD and nVidia cards. Epic will be making the entire demo content available when the first official release candidate of Unreal Engine 5 is made available to the public. Some of the 3D content in the demo actually used the original 3D models from the first Matrix movie.

I think the PC is actually on the back foot a bit here. The latest gen consoles have some trick storage and memory architecture which will make PC ports more challenging.

No doubt on the high end you can brute force it but not many people have the budget for those sort of setups.

Demo looks freeeeeking awesome. Not so sure about the gameplay but it’s an astonishing tech demo.

Yup - this is part of the reason why a "PC version" isn't available. You need a fairly hefty PC with fast storage access for streaming and content delivery.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Only thing that gave it away for me was some of the movement looked a bit 'unnatural'. Specifically remember one bit where Keeanu is walking and his arms don't quite move right.

But that's just nit picking, it looked pretty damn amazing!

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
I just watched this and tbh i struggled to tell what was real or not at the start.

incredible really.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
I was playing this last night and was blown away, misses thought it was real when I was higher than the tallest building. Saw that it had 35,000 npc's walking around at 1 point.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I downloaded this this morning and omg it’s impressive, the reflections, the details and when you look into the rooms on the buildings do much detail and when you fly the detail goes on for miles, i didn’t realise you could drive and took a car for spin and the damage is pretty good. Amazing what games would be like when this is fully up and running

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
The seamless infinite map hurt my brain 😂

It looks lovely, but I did get a few framerate drops on my XSX during the driving scene.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
Played this again today, went to all of the landmarks. Found the one that allows you to change between day time and night time. Very impressive, dropped the Matrix filter too. Visually it is something else, no point talking about the actual driving physics because I'll be honest they're dire but it isn't a proper game is it!