ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

max speed in second

1.2 16v
whats the max you can get in second, i have a 1.2 16v and 6000rpm in second at 50mph, it limits at 6200rpm, i used to be able to do more than this, just bought a panle filter aswell:(

Clio MK2 (1.2)
i have the same 1.2 16v and get about 40, dont hammer mine cz i dont want to spend more fixing it

ur megane r26
i no this sounds like a silly question, but is it ok to do this occasionally to a 1.2 or will it eventually break even if it is like once a month or something and also what is more likely to break on the car?????

i no this sounds like a silly question, but is it ok to do this occasionally to a 1.2 or will it eventually break even if it is like once a month or something and also what is more likely to break on the car?????

As long as you change gear before you hit the limiter, then you won't really do any damage. Bouncing the car off the limiter is not good for the engine though.

ur megane r26
aww that is a bit of a relief i never ever touch the limiter, only done it once and i didnt mean to just wernt takin much notice, if i do it and that is very rare i only take the car to about 5250 revs obviously roughly as that is what renault said is the best time to shift to get maximum results,

when i first started driving i thought i would go quickest bouning it off the limiter, but you need to find where the power range is, in my clio was best at 5,200rpm, in the 307 its 6000 rpm,

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
think mines about 70 too, but in all honesty when im driving it like that im more bothered about looking at the road than my speedo lol

Breaking A 172 Replica
I suggest you look at Rolling Road graphs.

From the factory most power is produced at 5500 rpm and with mods max power will be higher up in the rev range.

Tbh there isn't a journey where I don't rev mine to 6100 and my car seems to be fine.

i always take mine up to like 4-5000 just general driving hahaha, im selling her in 6months though

Revving an engine is much better than labouring an engine, so you are doing your engine a favour. You could sit at 5500rpm all day, and your engine would be fine.

1.2 16v
yes when im on motorway late night and its empty i have flawed for a good hour in 5th at like 55000 rmp and its fine but i didnt think revving in like 1 and 2 was good.

1.2 16v
also, does any1 know how to make the engine revv better in 5th, cos mine struggles past 5000, will it reach the limiter at 6200?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
my 172 won't hit 60 in second, didn't know a 182 would do 70.

S2000
I can't believe how little some people push their cars. Mine regularly hits over 6000rpm, infact almost everytime its warmed up I can't resist, lol. Taking it to that sort of revs will do NO DAMAGE as long as you have warmed the engine up. I'm not saying to sit at 6000rpm all the time but if you push it through the gears it'll be fine.

roders990 - As for your max speed in second - it won't have changed from before as the gear ratios and rev limiter determine you maximum speed in a gear, the engine power only changes how quickly you can get there.

1.2 16v
that makes sense, but is there anyway to rev better in 5th or is the 1.2 engine not powerful enough, i should be getting a cat back and decat anyways

I can't believe how little some people push their cars. Mine regularly hits over 6000rpm, infact almost everytime its warmed up I can't resist, lol. Taking it to that sort of revs will do NO DAMAGE as long as you have warmed the engine up. I'm not saying to sit at 6000rpm all the time but if you push it through the gears it'll be fine.

roders990 - As for your max speed in second - it won't have changed from before as the gear ratios and rev limiter determine you maximum speed in a gear, the engine power only changes how quickly you can get there.

looking at your car type under your avatar you have a hybrid though... they were kind of meant to be driven hard, or harder than a 1.2 anyway...

that makes sense, but is there anyway to rev better in 5th or is the 1.2 engine not powerful enough, i should be getting a cat back and decat anyways

dont bother, exhaust £300+, decat £100+... that's just over a quarter of the cash needed for a full 172 engine conversion... or, it's £400 towards a faster car.

1.2 16v

dont bother, exhaust £300+, decat £100+... that's just over a quarter of the cash needed for a full 172 engine conversion... or, it's £400 towards a faster car.

Yes i know evry1 sais this about a smaller engine, im 17 and no chance in hell of insuring a 172 and im going travelling next year so wont have a car. i only usually drive on B roads so a few mods on the 1.2 wont do any har, brakes and suspension and some weight reduction.

S2000
looking at your car type under your avatar you have a hybrid though... they were kind of meant to be driven hard, or harder than a 1.2 anyway...

Yeah, thats a fair point. I just meant in terms of replies like saying that the engine won't last long if you take it to 6000rpm as that is misleading imo as rev limiters are put in to stop damage. If it was going to damage the engine taking it up there every now and then they would have lowered the limiter.

the 1.216v's have automatic rev limiters, they vary on the heat of the engine ect, once i just started mine, pulled out by mistake, floored it and bounced off a 5,500rpm.

50mph in second I can get 52 but thats by overreving and dropping it down from 3th or 4th with a blip.