ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MBP Running hot.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
The fan is on full nearly all the time, gets hot ridiculously quick. It's never done this before.

I've tried killing all programs, changing power settings etc etc. But it's heating up faster than it ever has before :S. Before I could have it sitting on my bed for ages and the fan would barely kick in, unless i started watching a video or something. Now it seems the fan is on, loudly, even if i have the thing sitting on a table or hovering in mid air :mad:. Pretty sure it's out of warranty as it was bought xmas 2008 (it's the Pre-Pro Aluminium Macbook, so same as the pro minus the backlit keyboard).

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
If you have a removable battery......

Shut down
Remove battery
Hold down power button for 10 seconds
Re-asemble and turn on

Thats what apple support told me to do when my fan was perma-on on my old MB, worked an all :)

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
The laptop has been sitting (slightly balanced) on a glass for the last 20 mins. Meaning all the vents are clear from being smothered. Fan noise is still above average, but not on full RAGE.

screenshot20101205at220.png

Go cry to your momma!
That's pretty warm for the C2D at idle..

Take the bottom off and use a clean paint brush to clean out the dust from the fan heatsink, if you've been using it on your bed lots it'll have fluff and lots of crap inside it.
There might be something wrapped around the fan too, slowing it down or it's on it way out..

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
According to the System Profiler "Model Identifier: MacBook5,1" I Got it December 2008 IIRC. It's the aluminium Macbook.

Go cry to your momma!
It's a 13" MBP without the backlit keyboard, as you said above..

Feel free to ignore my advise, but I bet it's what causing your problem.

I've worked on plenty of the 2008 MBs and there's no design fault that causes them to run hot other than a dust build up.

DCi
i use a tray when i have my laptop in bed to help keep clear paths to the grills and stop shite getting in.

if youre a pikey and you want to try it, rob one from maccies ;)

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Think I have a tray lying around, so I canz put it unda da wheelz of ma Fiesta innit.