ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

McLaren P1 appreciation thread

Fabia VRS & Yeti
Ok we all know it's 'here' and has been at the Geneva motor show but have you been paying much attention to the amount of technological ingenuity that has gone into this hypercar?
mclaren-p1-geneva-other-side-e1362503084559.jpg

Upon reading the press kit my mind was blown! http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=27269

903bhp, 2g cornering on road tyres, 5 full second quicker to 300kph than the McLaren F1

We should be proud of this car as a statement that British engineering is far from done yet!

I look forward to the reviews and driving it for real in a console game :clown:

Last edited by a moderator:
  Lotus Elise
Saw this yesterday, it looks superb and tiny! When you look closely you see all the tunnels, fins, and flicks in the body work to control the airflow. The brake disks are stunning too with a slight blue hint to them.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Been seeing pics of this on facebook and I love it can't wait to see it in action as it looks awesome.

Fabia VRS & Yeti
Is this to replace the 'F1', I remember somewhere they were doing a new F1?

Kind of

McLaren introduced the carbon fibre chassis to the world of Formula 1 in 1981 with the MP4/1, and we had the first carbon-bodied road car,’ says McLaren Automotive Executive Chairman Ron Dennis. ‘We have always been at the cutting edge of vehicle aerodynamics, and all of this experience has gone into the new McLaren P1™. Twenty years ago, with the McLaren F1, we raised the supercar performance bar. With the McLaren P1™, we have redefined it once more.’

172 Cup
I think the P1's fantastic. Got much more of a zing about it than the MP4-12C and a less awkward name! More imaginative than 'The Ferrari'!

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
I just think of the Impreza when I hear P1.

What lumps in it? Is it a Hybrid type thing?

the McLaren P1 a mid-mounted 3.8-litre twin-turbo V8 petrol engine fitted with two turbochargers and an electric motor. Together, this produces 916ps (903bhp) and a maximum torque figure of 900Nm. The petrol engine alone produces 737ps (727bhp) at 7,500rpm, and 720Nm of torque from 4,000rpm with the electric motor supplementing 179ps (176bhp) and 260Nm of torque.

Id just f**k the electric motor off and roll with 727bhp lol

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Disappointing that it's not as quick as the car they made 21 years ago.

It's like comparing Concorde and a Boeing 787 Dreamliner. I'm sure a 787 is a much better aircraft all round, but it still doesn't go Mach 2.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Disappointing that it's not as quick as the car they made 21 years ago.

It's like comparing Concorde and a Boeing 787 Dreamliner. I'm sure a 787 is a much better aircraft all round, but it still doesn't go Mach 2.

Slower top speed. Quicker in the real world.

Shaves 8 seconds off 0-130mph of the 12c.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I know, but I get the feeling that it's kind of missing the point. It feels more like an upgraded MP4-12C than a seperate car in it's own right.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It kinda is. It's a Hypercar though. You could say the same for a lot of manufacturers.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I know, but I get the feeling that it's kind of missing the point. It feels more like an upgraded MP4-12C than a seperate car in it's own right.

Mclaren weren't gunning for top speed. They wanted to make the ultimate drivers car.

The P1 is far from an upgraded MP4-12C.

Fabia VRS & Yeti
Mclaren weren't gunning for top speed. They wanted to make the ultimate drivers car.

The P1 is far from an upgraded MP4-12C.

They want it to be the fastest hypercar on the road and on the track. You can drive it to the track, press a button and have basically the same downforce levels as a GT3 racecar. 2g cornering force on road tyres.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
My misses supplies all the bolts, nuts and fastners to Mclaren for this and the other cars, hopefully going for a factory tour soon :)

Fabia VRS & Yeti
The #McLarenP1™ online interactive experience, coming soon.

Last edited by a moderator: