ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Media centre PC

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
ooh, interested to see how it goes. I keep considering it but can never decide what bits to choose for it.

S2000
Will have a dual core processor, full HD 1080p with HDMI out, HD sound etc etc :D

Will keep you posted.

S2000
Yes. Why? Because I only know MS systems and don't have the time or fancy trying to get my head round anything else at the mo.

What are you thinking? Linux system?

In terms of current Media Centre apps, MCE is ahead of the competition in most areas.

I guess MythTV would be closeish, especially as it's a server-client model.. but... heh.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
try mythtv and let us know in 3 month if you managed to get it installed and running lol!

i tried it once, and even after KDF setting it all up for me using command line stuff it still didnt work.

xp media centre probably isnt as good but it was installed and running in an hour.

BMW M135i
Built mine thinking it'd just be a major novelty but its actually been really handy, use it all the mine. Don't use cds anymore mp3 all the way, the tv system works really well imo the only downside is the lack of interactive and subtitles on freeview.

172 Cup
Slugger said:
Will have a dual core processor, full HD 1080p with HDMI out, HD sound etc etc :D

Will keep you posted.

Aren't you going to wait for the DX10 cards that support HDCP?

I'll be interested to hear how it goes too. I've been thinking about building one on and off for a few years, but never quite got it done. My main concern would be getting a nice quiet one for the living room, but that seems quite tricky without spending a fortune...

S2000
KyleB said:
how much has it cost you,fancy building a media centre pc

Not sure I want to say cos I will be putting it up for sale and if anyone buys it i'll build another ;)

S2000
.Griff. said:
Aren't you going to wait for the DX10 cards that support HDCP?

Nope i'm not waiting for anything cos then I wont have the money lol

Can always add or change bits later.

172 cup'd extreme
16v_jon said:
Are you using windows media center edition? if so why?

I built a silverstone intel based (duel core0 mpc with Win MCE which was good now using mythTV on fedora core, rightly it took me ages to get running (about 2 hours) but its well worth it! is still duel boot as i like to play the odd pc game on the system.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Adams_16v said:
try mythtv and let us know in 3 month if you managed to get it installed and running lol!

i tried it once, and even after KDF setting it all up for me using command line stuff it still didnt work.

xp media centre probably isnt as good but it was installed and running in an hour.

Peice of piss to setup heh, and 0.20 has just been released with loads of new stuff. Mythtv isnt even close to MCE its about 5 leagues above.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
i tried for a week and couldnt get it running :( and i consider myself very computer litterate. almost got it working thanks to your help :D did but still count get any drivers installed for half my hardware boohoo. i was lokoing forward to giving it a go too.

its easy for you cos ur a linux guru. any old gimp can install windows, cos its much easier hehe!

S2000
Due to one of the suppliers being absolutely shite i'm now delayed about a week and have to use a different configuration :(

172 cup'd extreme
Adams_16v said:
i tried for a week and couldnt get it running :( and i consider myself very computer litterate. almost got it working thanks to your help :D did but still count get any drivers installed for half my hardware boohoo. i was lokoing forward to giving it a go too.

its easy for you cos ur a linux guru. any old gimp can install windows, cos its much easier hehe!

Try GB-PVR then if you can get to grips with mythTV