ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mega

So, Dotcom has launched another site (yesterday) called Mega.

I've signed up, mainly for the 50GB free storage (considerably more than any other free site).

https://mega.co.nz

Do you think it'll last? It seems he's added more security to ensure he's not caught up in future claims against piracy.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Ye they will be legal this time. Already signed up but uploads don't seem to be working :S

dk

911 GTS Cab
personally i won't be signing up as if any site is going to be taken down, its one of his, and i don't want to store stuff on it for it, especially gigs worth to then have it taken away one day when it possibly gets taken down.

dk

911 GTS Cab
i wonder if the whole encryption with you owning the decryption key is about them then not knowing whats stored on the servers and so can't be held accountable?

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
i wonder if the whole encryption with you owning the decryption key is about them then not knowing whats stored on the servers and so can't be held accountable?
Pretty sure that's the exact reasoning behind it.

dk

911 GTS Cab
just looked at the become a hosting partner page and it has this

Unfortunately, we can't work with hosting companies based in the United States. Safe harbour for service providers via the Digital Millennium Copyright Act has been undermined by the Department of Justice with its novel criminal prosecution of Megaupload. It is not safe for cloud storage sites or any business allowing user-generated content to be hosted on servers in the United States or on domains like .com / .net. The US government is frequently seizing domains without offering service providers a hearing or due process.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
personally i won't be signing up as if any site is going to be taken down, its one of his, and i don't want to store stuff on it for it, especially gigs worth to then have it taken away one day when it possibly gets taken down.

I am using it as a cloud backup of my personal content... holiday photos, videos etc. should it go down I will re-upload the content elsewhere. Handy if my local storage goes tits up ;)

Or at least I would be if the uploader worked !

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Ill be keeping with my local NAS storage, I have no need to store pics etc online really, RAID5 ftw.

Bus w**ker
just looked at the become a hosting partner page and it has this

A lot of people won't store anything on a server in the states anymore, due to the US government having full access to anything stored there and their stupid domain seizure policy; so I'm not surprised Kim has gone down this route...plus he's rubbing it in their face that they made a mess of it last time.