ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Metallic grinding noise when braking

Oil Burner
I have recently started getting a metallic grinding noise (only on the Offside) when braking heavily or once the brakes are hot. Its not a constant noise, its clearly only happening once each time the disc goes around. I have lots of life left in the pads and discs, i cant see any cracks in the disc, it only happens when hot.

What could it be? Warped discs? Could a knackered bearing present symptoms like this? The car also drives like a dog atm and tramlines all over the place, but im putting this down to the worn out tyres.

Any help much appreciated.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Have you removed all the wheels and physically checked the brakes?

I wouldn't have started thread until i had.

E36 328
I had a problem like this on my first car, thought my pads were completely worn down but turned out one of the pistons in the brakes was just seized. Freed it up and was fine afterwards.

Oil Burner
Yes, had the offending wheel off today, couldn't see anything obvious, i don't have access to two decent jacks so i cant get both front wheels off the ground to turn the wheel and see if the disc has a warp in it unfortunately (if this would even be visible?).

Chesh, Were the pads just dragging on your car?

E36 328
Well i wasnt really into doing anything on cars at all at that point but thats what i gathered from what the garage told me