ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Michelin PE2 - W speed rated

Right, I've been doing some research...

Normally I (and most others on here?) would buy the V rated PE2 for the 182. These are for speeds up to 149 mph.

However, I have been ringing round for quotes and have been told by nearly every place that strangely, the W rated version is quite a bit cheaper. These tyres rate up to 168 mph. I've just saved £14 a tyre by buying the W rated PE2 over the V rated one (still £98 though, meh)

Definitely worth the heads up!

yes, this is what I've been askign the tyre places.

I was told that the difference in feel would be the same as putting the pressure up by less than 1psi in the V rated ones. In other words, you would be hard pushed to notice the difference in feel.

tiTTy & SV650
good info, at under £100 I'll consider them still, mytyres have the w rateds at £95 not including fitting

Last edited:

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
People moan that they are expensive etc but if you work it out properly...

Proxies - 195/45/16 = £60 fitted (average) - Will last about 5k and shite in wet.
PE2's - 205/45/15 = £105 fitted (average) - Will last about 14k and awesome in all conditions, even when below the legal 1.6mm limit.

It actually works out cheaper to buy PE2's in the long run.

S2000 + E91 330D
Pirelli P Zero Nero,
£60
I think they're awesome for the price. excellent handling wet and dry

I'm not arguing they're the best tyre in the world, just that the W's are cheaper than the V's.
There's another pinned thread to discuss which is the best in the world ;)

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Thanks, good post. I need 15's (ph 1 so they're 195/50/15) I've never heard of w rated in this size only v's. Any one know differently?

Clio 197
Jeez... and I paid over the odds to have the V rated ones fitted!!!

The load rating may also affect price AFAIK - my car came with 80V as std, but I saved a bit by getting over-rated ones.

PS 150MPH with surf boards on the roof would be rather interesting... I'll post a pic in the media section for you later... :)

Clio 172 Cup
My local ATS fitted my 4 PE2's 195/45/16 V rated for £79 a corner and give me £40 in fuel vouchers.

ATS is owned by Michelin.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
My PE2s always last ages, due some new tyres soon and don't know whether to try those Hankooks people are on about.

PS 150MPH with surf boards on the roof would be rather interesting... I'll post a pic in the media section for you later... :)

lol, managed 120 with 2 boards on top on the way down to devon last year... kept checking the shadow to make sure they were still there.

While we're on the subject of PE2s, what exactly does the Extra Load part refer to? I assume Clios can do without the XL version of the tyres as long as they are the correct speed rating?

Sorry for the little hijack:eek:

Ah, mytyres and Camskill only seem to do either 80 or 84 XL.

EDIT: It's because I was looking at 195s. I assume I'd need to go for the 84 if I was going for 195s?

E46 325ci, ZX10r E9f
PE2's - 205/45/15 = £105 fitted (average) - Will last about 14k and awesome in all conditions, even when below the legal 1.6mm limit.

i binned the fronts with over 3mm left, whenever i put my foot down i couldn't control the car, i nearly crashed into the car i was overtaking :dead:

Clio 197
Ah, mytyres and Camskill only seem to do either 80 or 84 XL.

EDIT: It's because I was looking at 195s. I assume I'd need to go for the 84 if I was going for 195s?

AFAIK they don't do 80s in a 195/45 anymore... My car runs them as factory std, and could I only get hold of 84 last time.

Clio 197
i binned the fronts with over 3mm left, whenever i put my foot down i couldn't control the car, i nearly crashed into the car i was overtaking :dead:

Depends on conditions... in the wet they'll never be as good as new at 3mm.

Next time keep them for warm & dry trackdays - ideal.

:evil::evil:

'92 172, Lotus Elise
I got my 195 50 R15 PE2s from Costco for £45.50 each... fitted!

no idea on speed rating

Clio 197
lol, managed 120 with 2 boards on top on the way down to devon last year... kept checking the shadow to make sure they were still there.

LOL - got a pic with an 11'6" on top of my 182. I'm trying to find it!!!

Let's just say it's probably the fastest 11'6" to ever pass through the SW. ;)