ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Michelin Pilot Exalto 2

Clio 172
I just changed tyres to 4 x Michelin Pilot Exalto 2... If you have a 172 you need these. Torque steer on the Yokohamas and Continentals was pretty bad yet on the PE2 is almost gone. Grip is really good and road noise is really low. Wet weather handling is great. I had to really get on the brakes today in the wet when a car pulled out infront of me and the car pulled up with no fuss and the abs hardly kicked in. This is probably the best tyre I have ever had on a road car. No I don't work for Michelin lol Thanks to the forum members for putting me on to these :)

Lee

BMW M2C
I liked the Contis, but they didn't really have that much in the way of grip and squealed when pushed. Nice and progressive though. I swapped them for Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 on the 172 and was really pleased with those. But since having 182s I'm sold on the PE2s also. They offer great levels of grip in the wet and dry, and on track with a bit of heat in generate bags of grip. They do go off after a fair amount of laps though, usually when they get very soft.

Pricey, but still the only tyre I'd have on mine at the moment.

williams and trophy
i swear by em . as lee says tho. not ideal on track. they dont last very long. altho you will get a full day out of them if you dont mind having a bit of fun with the turn in. watch the sidewals disappear..lol

Lee

BMW M2C
Yeah, you need to up those presure on track to avoid losing the Michelin mans head.

Spa090.jpg

williams and trophy
pah.

only 1/2 a job there lol. you could see the threads through the rubber, rim protector to thread was a perfect arc lol. no writing, no michelin man.....

Trophy #267
out of interest what pressure do you run for a trackday ? upto the 39 max as stated in the handbook (for motorway driving)?

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
I ran 29f 27r cold.(exaltos)

If your serious about tracking you need 15's & r888's.

Trophy #267
fs that low ? mine looked as bad as the pic above just on road use ! @ ~ 35 and thought your sposed to increase psi for track ?

Lee

BMW M2C
I usually decrease the psi for trackdays, means more of the tyre is in contact with the track = more grip

But also more chance of the tyre leaving the rim. The increased temperature softens the tyre, and road tyre sidewalls aren't as stiff as track tyres which can run low PSI. The extra load when cornering on track means you should really increase the pressure when running road tyres.

Most track day organisers mention it in the briefing.

Titanium 182
my pe2s are on 21,000 with around 2.5/3mm left on the front tyres
backs have loads on them, thats with normal driving

great tyres!

Clio 172
Its interesting to see that they are usefull on the track, all be it for not very long. I dont know if i got a good deal but £80 a corner (195/45xVR16) seemed OK and I am well happy!

dci has loads of torque hasn`t it, seems good to me especially if you can get 21,000 miles out of them on this sort of car, maybe more if they were swopped over etc?

Tangoed Works
in my experience with mostly urban driving, the pe2's do last okay. if you want longevity though, pilot primacys are excellent. 18k miles out of a set with hard driving and still very grippy in the wet.