ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Midlands IT Vacancy - 1st/2nd Line Support

SLK 350
An excellent opportunity has arisen for an IT Support Analyst to work for a leading publisher in the educational sector. You will be part of a service desk team based in Southam (South Warwickshire), although travel to other offices will be necessary.

You will be expected to provide full desktop and server support, supporting Users running Windows 2000/XP in a Windows 2000/2003 server environment. You will be experienced in supporting MS Office applications and have some knowledge of Adobe Suite. Ideally experience of end-user training would be a big advantage, as would exposure to Active Directory, IBM AS400/iSeries, Nortel Meridian phone systems, Apple Mac and ITIL.

The ideal candidate will possess excellent interpersonal skills. Confidence when dealing with end-users is essential both face to face and on the telephone. The ability to diagnose and resolve problems within specific timescale is essential. A full UK driving license is required.

If you would like to apply for this position, please send a copy of your current CV and a cover letter to: josborne@scholastic.co.uk

--------------------------------------------

Job is based at CV47 0RA, starting probably January now. It's a good company to work for, a world leading publishers.

If theres anybody interested please send me your CV and forum name and i'll pass them over favourably to HR (you will get an interview).

Salary bracket is earmarked at £16,000-£20,000 dependant on experience.

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50
Wow, southam is only down the road :D shame im not IT really

i currently work with the Nortel Meridian phones, i look after the Jaguar/Landrover phone systems and they have Meridian option 11/81 phone systems

Fabia vRS
An excellent opportunity has arisen for an IT Support Analyst to work for a leading publisher in the educational sector. You will be part of a service desk team based in Southam (South Warwickshire), although travel to other offices will be necessary.

You will be expected to provide full desktop and server support, supporting Users running Windows 2000/XP in a Windows 2000/2003 server environment. You will be experienced in supporting MS Office applications and have some knowledge of Adobe Suite. Ideally experience of end-user training would be a big advantage, as would exposure to Active Directory, IBM AS400/iSeries, Nortel Meridian phone systems, Apple Mac and ITIL.

The ideal candidate will possess excellent interpersonal skills. Confidence when dealing with end-users is essential both face to face and on the telephone. The ability to diagnose and resolve problems within specific timescale is essential. A full UK driving license is required.

If you would like to apply for this position, please send a copy of your current CV and a cover letter to: josborne@scholastic.co.uk

--------------------------------------------

Job is based at CV47 0RA, starting probably January now. It's a good company to work for, a world leading publishers.

If theres anybody interested please send me your CV and forum name and i'll pass them over favourably to HR (you will get an interview).

Salary bracket is earmarked at £16,000-£20,000 dependant on experience.

not being rude, but that salary is shocking.

i'm a uni student and get paid £18k a year to sit here on 1st line support for an isp.

SLK 350
Well it's the first 'proper' job i've had since graduating last year, and started on £18,500 with them, since then things have improved somewhat :)

So how did you work that out Adam? Average graduate salary is 18k...

To clarify this job is probably ideally suited to a graduate, a second job, or someone wishing to move in this direction. The salary is pretty market rate, i'd encourage you to look at similar roles in the midlands, theres not many over 20k that aren't more technically demanding.

'shocking' lol.

Fabia vRS
Well it's the first 'proper' job i've had since graduating last year, and started on £18,500 with them, since then things have improved somewhat :)

To clarify this job is probably ideally suited to a graduate, a second job, or someone wishing to move in this direction. The salary is pretty market rate, i'd encourage you to look at similar roles in the midlands, theres not many over 20k that aren't more technically demanding.

'shocking' lol.

down here i'd say most people i know have come out of uni into 22k jobs, i am in home counties/london area though.

sometimes i really do wonder how people can live in a job that pays 16k a year though. i mean how can you pay for a car, somewhere to live, and have a social life? serious question, not being rude of condescending.

when i finish uni i'll be pretty disappointed if i can't find a job paying 22-24k with the experience I have from this and previous jobs, and then my degree on top of that.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
Always get more down south

For the Mids that wage is decent starting.

'shocking' lol.

down here i'd say most people i know have come out of uni into 22k jobs, i am in home counties/london area though.

sometimes i really do wonder how people can live in a job that pays 16k a year though. i mean how can you pay for a car, somewhere to live, and have a social life? serious question, not being rude of condescending.

when i finish uni i'll be pretty disappointed if i can't find a job paying 22-24k with the experience I have from this and previous jobs, and then my degree on top of that.

Chances you'll be dissapointed then fella. I was. Not anymore.

Fabia vRS

Chances you'll be dissapointed then fella. I was. Not anymore.

not really. i've got a lot of experience under my belt already, only reason i'm sitting here on an 18k a year job is because i am doing my uni degree at the same time with a view to finishing that and finishing my ccna/ccnp before i look for another job. i work for a pipex owned company so there is a lot scope for internal positions here, and they will pay for my training too.

anyway, if that salary is average for that part of the country then fair enough, but round here you would struggle to live on that kinda money if you wanted a decent standard of living and to be in a nice area.

SLK 350
I used to think the same @ Uni tbh. Figured i'd land a 25k + bens type roll, then I graduated, started applying for jobs and realised my niave attitude was going to let me down.

To be honest, 20k in the midlands is the equivalent of 25k (at least) down in London area.

The reason it's 16k-20k is dependant on experience, if someone has the skills to warrant 20k then we'll pay it, if they're fresh outta college/uni and need training, then wage is reflected in that.

When all said and done though, even when I started I came out with £1300 a month, and after finishing Uni, and with the financial mess I was in - I was over the moon to land the job.

With IT you work a job, you get the experience and then down the line you command more money, but no mug is going to pay 25k to a graduate these days - We live in a world of indian call centres and outsourcing :(

SLK 350
anyway, if that salary is average for that part of the country then fair enough, but round here you would struggle to live on that kinda money if you wanted a decent standard of living and to be in a nice area.

Check on Monster mate, I think you'll be surprised...but from the impression I get, you don't seem to have a keen eye on the IT industry and vacancies.

You've struggle to live in a nice area on 30k, and have any standard of living down London lad.

Anyway on topic, anybody want a job - email me :)

Fabia vRS
Check on Monster mate, I think you'll be surprised...but from the impression I get, you don't seem to have a keen eye on the IT industry and vacancies.

You've struggle to live in a nice area on 30k, and have any standard of living down London lad.

Anyway on topic, anybody want a job - email me :)

before i went back to uni i was on 30k and had my own place with a housemate, an ibiza cupra 20vt, an R1, and i had a very nice social life along with living near a mainline train station and i was working in london.

not really sure how you can say that i don't know what i'm on about if you don't know me? currently i obviously only earn 18k as a uni student, but that is from my official job. from jobs on the side i probably pull in closer to 30k. i'd say that isn't bad going while in uni and we'll see what happens when i finish uni (a year and a bit left).

at the end of the day i am only really doing my degree to get more points in for the canadian immigration system. I think i will work for a year after i finish uni just so that I can pay off some debt, and then fcuk off out of this dive of a country. i'm probably aiming for contract work hopefully rather than permie.

sorry for the thread hijack, i just think companies take the piss expecting graduates to work for 16k.

SLK 350
i just think companies take the piss expecting graduates to work for 16k.

Who said anything about graduates working for 16k? It depends on the experience of the person, their knowledge and their background. I started on 18.5k as a graduate, it was my first job within the industry.

16k is more indicative of a college/student wage, where they will require extensive training to get 'upto speed'. So to repeat that again....by no means would we pay a graduate 16k...period! The role is upto 20k!

Now, any takers? :)

Tempted... not sure on the commute from Nottingham tho.

is it fully sat on a phone work or would i be in an office?

SLK 350
No Dave, it's the biggest pisstake of a workload ever to be honest.

Theres a first line ahead of this role, so the calls will be answered by her, she deals with smaller issues like AD account lock-outs/AS400 lock-outs, and anything easily dealt with.

Things she can't deal with are logged into helpdesk software (Track-it) and dealt to the relevant person for the job, you then hopefully complete the job within the agreed SLA (it's not draconian).

On a typical day, I drink tea, play fussball, spend most the day on myspace/cliosport and chatting to friends on MSN. Then if something goes wrong, i'll fix it and go back to whatever I want to do. Theres no pressure, and it's a very informal atmosphere - to be honest it's a blast lol. We have an inter department fussball league, we go down the pub for lunch and play darts twice a week...etc etc.

In answer to your question:

Phone? You dont use headsets, you don't answer the phone to mindless idiots - only time you get a call is if someone asks for you in particular.

Office? The job is based in an office yes.

Have a think mate, if you think you'd like to apply then I wouldn't discourage it at all, non stress job!

Rav4
Very, very nice.

30k before uni, gone down to 18k whilst studying, are you doing a part time or full time course and is it a BSC?

I am wanting to go back to uni, but would need a good job whilst I was there.

Think you are doing spot on 18k + course, that is excellent.

I am hopefully moving near vancouver sometime soon :) Might see you there.

G.

before i went back to uni i was on 30k and had my own place with a housemate, an ibiza cupra 20vt, an R1, and i had a very nice social life along with living near a mainline train station and i was working in london.

not really sure how you can say that i don't know what i'm on about if you don't know me? currently i obviously only earn 18k as a uni student, but that is from my official job. from jobs on the side i probably pull in closer to 30k. i'd say that isn't bad going while in uni and we'll see what happens when i finish uni (a year and a bit left).

at the end of the day i am only really doing my degree to get more points in for the canadian immigration system. I think i will work for a year after i finish uni just so that I can pay off some debt, and then fcuk off out of this dive of a country. i'm probably aiming for contract work hopefully rather than permie.

sorry for the thread hijack, i just think companies take the piss expecting graduates to work for 16k.

Fabia vRS
Very, very nice.

30k before uni, gone down to 18k whilst studying, are you doing a part time or full time course and is it a BSC?

I am wanting to go back to uni, but would need a good job whilst I was there.

Think you are doing spot on 18k + course, that is excellent.

I am hopefully moving near vancouver sometime soon :) Might see you there.

G.

i used to be a copper, now i've gone back to IT. I am doing a full time course, but it's only 2 days a week. i just work bloody hard and basically have a 7 day week after work and uni. My course is a Bsc. I am doing Internet Technology with Network Management and Security. Working for an ISP obviously ties in nicely to my course, plus work will pay for me to do my CCNA when i have the time after uni.

Revels Mum & Sister
I got a first from Bournemouth Uni and did CCNA Semesters 1/2 and worked part time for a computer consultancy during and my starting wages was £19K, is now higher 2 years down the line

But it does look like the company I am working for is being bled cry by the director so new job time soon me thinks :(

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

We must have been seperated at birth. :D

If I had half the chance to get my ass over there to live, it would be a case of "OUTTA MA WAY!"

And as a comment to the original thread, I started as a graduate on £12k. They made a mistake initially and put me on £10.5k :eek:. I'm on a 'bit' more these days though....

D.

cock mobile.
That is damn good money for a recent grad imo, and a recent graduate would be lucky to get that job with the IT job market.

Certainly that goes for Jobs around this area (Northampton).

I started on far less, but the starting salary doesn't matter, it's getting experience for a bit, you'll soon move up if you are good at your job.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Been doing my job a couple of years now so it's a little more than that, but it's way down deepest devon so you'd expect less to start with :)