ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

mileage or condition, which is more important to you?

Hi guys,

Get my new clio 172 in a couple of weeks. Ended up buying one with higher mileage but one that had FSH with it and is in immaculate condition.

Whilst looking I could not beleive that amount of low mileage clio 172's near me that were for sale and either had no history or very little history and were not what I would call in nice condition.

Originally I did want a low mileage example but after seeing what I had available to me at the time I ended up getting a clio with 85,000 on the clock tat had FSH with it and has been really well cared for.

My Dad reckons that mileage is the most important thing in the world when buying a vehicle. What are other peoples thoughts on here?????

Would you go for a low mileage example or one with FSh that was in nice condition.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
You done the right thing mate

A car will only last as long as its cherished, id rather a car with 100k and 10 service stamps than 30k and no service stamps

ITB'd 182...
Condition, previous owner/use etc for me.

Low mileage track used car or a high mileage motorway cruiser.....

Easy choice for me tbh.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
it depends, personally i want an imaculate car with FSH as its easier to sell on for decent cash when it comes to selling it but plenty people still go by this millage is everything rule when buying and dont realise a modern car will do many hundred thousand miles!!

Clio 1970000000
Condition every time. Low milage can mean the engine hasn't been warmed up properly and this itself can cause damage. Low milage + no service history = dodgy.

Iceberg 172
100% condition.

Mileage doesn't put me off at all. I bought my TT on 80k miles on an 03 plate. For my budget I could of easily got one on half that but this one had 1 enthusiast owner, was the perfect colour scheme and was absolutely immaculate!

My Clio is on 75k and it's lovely, a couple of big stone chips but I expect that as french paint is shite. However, the interior and mechanical sides are perfect!

53 Clio's & counting
As mine is on 134k now and performs and drives as well as any 1*2 iv driven (including my partners LY 182) id say condition 100% every time, i got full history and tones of receipts with mine which helped

Peugeot 308
Example, mines got a mixed/s**t history...75k on the clocks...this week it;ll be needing a new clutch and exhaust (£1k)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I don't care about mileage, no idea why.

Most of the TT's i've looked at are circa 100k

Megane 225
I've been stung before by buying a low mileage car with little history. You never know if the mileage has been turned back or there's something wrong with the car if it hasn't been serviced properly with the history to prove it. I now will only buy a car with Full Service History and Make sure I check the VOSA register to see the mileage at every MOT. As said before there's nothing wrong with a High Mileage car, so long as it has been well looked after!

There was a guy on here with a ph1 172 with 140k iirc. Think it's still going strong!

MK2PH2
Condition IMO, my car has 80k miles but has only had 2 previous owners and is in brilliant condition, Runs like new as well.

Clio 182 + Recaros
You can't beat Service History and condition IMO. I don't think there is any substitute for care. I'd be very wary of any care with no service history showing low mileage. Especially anything in the hot hatch category. Enjoy

Megane 225
I've been stung before by buying a low mileage car with little history. You never know if the mileage has been turned back or there's something wrong with the car if it hasn't been serviced properly with the history to prove it. I now will only buy a car with Full Service History and Make sure I check the VOSA register to see the mileage at every MOT. As said before there's nothing wrong with a High Mileage car, so long as it has been well looked after!

There was a guy on here with a ph1 172 with 140k iirc. Think it's still going strong!

Check this out!

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=476062&highlight=highest+mileage

The f4r engine is good if maintained properly!

Clio 182 with cup kits
I think that both are really important and go hand in hand to it being a good car. if it's in good condition at least you know that the owner/s hnave probably looked after the engine with servicing etc and the body work isn't going to fall apart with rust in a year of your ownership. That said if it's high milage the mechanical components will be 89,000 miles worn. So what might look like a lovely car sitting in the sunshine gleaming in the sun might be a mechanical disaster underneath.
Sorry to sound negative, your dad is correct.

Megane 225
I think that both are really important and go hand in hand to it being a good car. if it's in good condition at least you know that the owner/s hnave probably looked after the engine with servicing etc and the body work isn't going to fall apart with rust in a year of your ownership. That said if it's high milage the mechanical components will be 89,000 miles worn. So what might look like a lovely car sitting in the sunshine gleaming in the sun might be a mechanical disaster underneath.
Sorry to sound negative, your dad is correct.

But again if the car has 30k on it but never seen a workshop it's likely mechanically fukced anyway!

I don't care about mileage, no idea why.

Most of the TT's i've looked at are circa 100k

That's because they're much cheaper than the ones with half that mileage! :)

A bit of both is the ideal, I'm not too put off by high miles but it is still a problem for many people (the 100k threshold particularly) and sometimes a factor if you don't intend to keep the cara longer as lower milers do sell easier. I bought a 90,000miles M Coupe and the interior was immaculate, much better than cars I saw with 50-60k on them (seats felt soggy in comparion etc). I figured it had done mostly motorway miles which is no big issue to me.

I would agree that mileage does not guarantee condition, I saw a 19,000mile black 182 last year at a Renault dealer and the gearknob was worn, the doors were chipped, steering wheel didn't sit straight when driving, it had marks from a botched mobile phone holder (my absolute pet hate is people pissing about fitting cradles for mobiles/satnavs damaging dashboards!!) etc.

in order of importance. highest first

1. condition
2. # owners
3. millage.

Focussing on the number of owners is something I've never fully understood. The current condition reflects the car far better than 1-owner or 20 owners does IMO.

Stu-172

I have actually bought a megane 225 and a clio 172. I am getting the clio from Scotland and the megane from Yorkshire.

Both the cars I have bought are higher mileage with FSH but are really nice clean cars. Megane is slightly better than the clio condition wise.

I thought I would post on both to see what the general opinion is accross both communities.

I suppose you could say I love my Renault sports. LOL:approve:

S2 106 GTI
I would defiantly do condition and service history! mileage really doesn't bother me....... means its BEEN USED! instead of sitting there most of the time!

I bought my LCR on 97k and ran fine! FSSH all it needed was new discs

Maybe a 172 Cup..
As mine is on 134k now and performs and drives as well as any 1*2 iv driven (including my partners LY 182) id say condition 100% every time, i got full history and tones of receipts with mine which helped

Selling Russ??
Milage wouldn't put me off a car mate to the OP. Condition and history much more important.

astra gsi/cliosport 172
mileage doesnt put me off ether as my last clio 172 had 100,000 on the clock when i got it and my astra gsi has 104,000

Megane 225
Stu-172

I have actually bought a megane 225 and a clio 172. I am getting the clio from Scotland and the megane from Yorkshire.

Both the cars I have bought are higher mileage with FSH but are really nice clean cars. Megane is slightly better than the clio condition wise.

I thought I would post on both to see what the general opinion is accross both communities.

I suppose you could say I love my Renault sports. LOL:approve:

Fair play to you mate! I'd love to buy my 172 back for the track!

Maybe a 172 Cup..
Never mind mate.

Was seriously tempted by that bargain VTS you had but unfortunately sale of my 1.8T golf didn't happen quick enough..