ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

mileage vs reliability?

Monaco Blue 172
hi all, newbie alert!

looking at getting myself a clio 172 of some sort, but i am a 30k/yr miler and am just a teeny bit worried whether the clio can cope with this sort of demand?

i do a lot of call-out work so i need a car thats not going to cause me problems every couple of months, but at the same time i want something thats fun to drive since i generally spend 3-4 hours per day on the road!

so, just wondering what sort of mileage u guys get out of your clio's? i'm looking at starting with something around the 40k mark but obviously i need some reassurance that its going to survive another 60k without too many major issues!

any advice appreciated :)

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
test drive one and get a feel for the car.

It would do 30k a year, but is quite boomy at 80 on mway

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
i've stuck nearly 30 thou on mine, and its never missed a beat!!!

Monaco Blue 172
thanks ppl. i'm kinda hoping that if i buy something thats already done around 40k, the biggest problems will have already been dealt with and then i will only have minor stuff bothering me. i dont generally drive THAT hard so hopefully i would have that in my favour!?

i sat in one this morning but it really hadnt been cared for and i think the dealer saw my face and decided a test drive would be waste of his time :( lol

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
mine is driven hard (once warmed up) and it loves it! Think it just depends on luck tbh

SLK 350
People have a big stigma about milage. On a car thats been looked after, on modern engines with quality oils, 100k is fk all!

Be surprised to see engines dying before well into a 100 tbh.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Who's to say that a car with 20k on the clock thats been ragged from cold and not looked after is in better nick then a car with 100k which has been looked after?

Golf GTD
iirc a car, think it was yozzas old one, was on 80k when its engine died. Altho alot of them miles had been hard track day milage.

so the car will last you 30k easy/

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
LOL my last valver was on 150k when i sold it and it didn't have an easy life. Still though it was even on its original clutch. If you can care for a car and are a good driver any car will last yonks.

HI mate

Though call, I am currently doing 20,000+ a year. The car has been pretty reliabile so far, however not as good as a I imagine jap car would be. It is also a fairly expensive car to run over high mileages as the resale value of the car drops, tyres servicing etc all add up.

On the plus side I manage 40 mpg and have a 50-50 fast a-roads/motorway journey and it never fails to put a smile on my face on the a roads. Not too badly behaved on the motorways all in all.

Monaco Blue 172
well i've managed to get 172k out of my rover, still with its original clutch, gbox & engine bits. make of that what u will! ;)

i dont really wanna go down the diesel/jap route as i will have a company car foisted on me in a couple of years that will tick all those boxes... in the meantime i want something a bit more fun! :D and none of the responses have really put me off which is :cool: