ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Misfire? No clue whats happening.

BMW E92/Audi S3
Basically, my car is struggling to fire up, judders like hell and when anything is switched on in the car (such as the demister) the car feels like its going to conk out. It also sounds very much like a scooby and its gone very slow!
Went to my local garages and even theyre even confused. One of them reckon its a blocked cat, but i have a decat?
Whats wrong? Checked the spark plugs, theyre all fine.

Poopensharten

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Could be a coil pack or the HT Leads (they connect to the coil pack)

I had this a few months ago, i doubt very much it could be a blocked cat mate.

Also i would avoid driving it until you can source the problem. Might damage injectors

BMW E92/Audi S3
Could be a coil pack or the HT Leads (they connect to the coil pack)

I had this a few months ago, i doubt very much it could be a blocked cat mate.

Also i would avoid driving it until you can source the problem. Might damage injectors

I said that it may be the HT leads too.

Poopensharten

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Dont worry about it mate, this is quite common place with Renaults.

Also if you change the coil pack or leads id change the plugs aswell for good measure wont do it any harm.

Titanium 182
Because its firing on 3 cylinders it sounds deeper, not exactly like s scooby though ?

or am I completely wrong ;)

Mine sounded deeper when one of my coil packs went.

lol mate search my threads

i had the problem, changed all 4 injectors was fine

and yes mine sounded like a scooby actually better than my standard scooby exhaust when side by side lol

i have loads of threads up about it

Clio 182
I would say the coil pack or HT leads fella, from what your saying it sounds like its on the ignition side of things

Poopensharten

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
p.s. i did over 500 miles on2 cylinders.. lol now thats an achievement

:S Lunacy fella!

When mine first developed the problem i thought the exhaust had a hole in it. It sounded dead burbly and deep like you said. Then it turns out it was actualy misfiring with a faulty coil pack, i changed the Spark plugs aswell to be sure. Done about 5,000 miles since, been fine :)

yeh ive done 800 miles since its been fixed, and its been perfect.. lol hit 800 is a lot in 1 week..

i changed plugs, all 4 coils and 4 injectors lol inthe end was injector 1 and 4

p.s. it started when i was on the motorway.. so had no choice but to carry on.. rac said usual coils.. but they couldnt track which 1 it is , changed all 4 with gsf jobbies.. no different when next on motorway so just carried on the journey there and back.. did plugs.. no different again on motorway...

did injector 4 this time .. went perfect.. drove around town perfect thenw ent on motorway again and was fine until this clio chased me and i used top end and it started misfiring.. did the other 3 injectors due to gettin work discount on them and its been perfect since.

i wouldnt have driven the car if i didnt have to lol but everytime i did i assumed the dam thing was fixed

Countryman JCW
I had this problem on my car bout 6 months ago and one of the lads on here who is pretty handy with the engine side of things was able to help me given the symptoms i described...

When you start it and stuff does it give out alot of blue smoke that smells a bit odd? if so then its your HT leads or your Coil pack... i found out it was one of my HT leads that was fouling by doing a little test (not sure how it was done but the road side assistance guy did it for me) so i got a lead given to me by the chap on here... to buy them from K-tec your looking at like 60-80 quid, but i had the problem again 6 months down the line the other week so decided to replace them all and went to euro part and got some that are the same as the factory standard ones for £32+VAT, but be wary it took me a long time to get the chap to find them on the two computer systems they use, you need to get the part number from renault they will describe them as coil leads or something strange, not HT leads, then you should be set if its the leads mate.... DONT buy from renault they wanted something like £129+VAT... F**KIN SKANKS!!

good luck im sure its nothing major

Poopensharten

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Meant to add fella, it might be easier to source which cylinders mis-firing by pulling out all the leads and you should be able to find out via elminination.

If the engine doesnt sound to be struggling anymore when you pull out one of the 4 theres a good chance it will be that cylinder thats misifiring.

BMW E92/Audi S3
Meant to add fella, it might be easier to source which cylinders mis-firing by pulling out all the leads and you should be able to find out via elminination.

If the engine doesnt sound to be struggling anymore when you pull out one of the 4 theres a good chance it will be that cylinder thats misifiring.

Done that test, all are working :S

injectors mate

if u dun coils and plugs i.e. chekd them, then take that aluminium block off the front and do the same with injectors.. disconnect one by one ..

but note if u only replace 1 injector.. if u have done a lot of miles on misfire like i did i think i weakened number 1 injector as it was compensating and that went 3 days later, so i changed all 4.. £20 from gsf with work discount

172 cup
had something similar on my 1.8 16v mk1. Was the rocker cover gasket leaking oil on plugs. dont know if that helps at all

BMW E92/Audi S3
Everyone who helped, thanks lots. Its all sorted now. Running alot better than it did before!