ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Misfiring

Renault Clio 172
Hello guys not had my Clio 172 very long but car has starting to misfire? Engine management light flashing also then went off and came back on again flashing, can anyone help with this? Coil pack? Spark plugs?

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
I'm chasing the same issue with my car at the moment. Do you have an OBD scanner? They're cheap online if not. It will give you a fault code which you can then chase down from there.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Hello guys not had my Clio 172 very long but car has starting to misfire? Engine management light flashing also then went off and came back on again flashing, can anyone help with this? Coil pack? Spark plugs?

9/10 flashing EML and misfire is faulty injector. Very common. Easy way to fault find is start the car and disconnect each injector one by one. If it runs the same with injector disconnected that is your issue.

Well worth replacing all four if you can with new as saves having the same issue again!

Hope that helps.

Renault Clio 172
I'm chasing the same issue with my car at the moment. Do you have an OBD scanner? They're cheap online if not. It will give you a fault code which you can then chase down from there.
I don’t have one of these no, I have a few friends with good knowledge of cars and I’ve been told to change spark plugs, coil pack and coil leads if this helps for you too? I will get parts ordered and get it done and if the problem is solved I can let you know?

Renault Clio 172
9/10 flashing EML and misfire is faulty injector. Very common. Easy way to fault find is start the car and disconnect each injector one by one. If it runs the same with injector disconnected that is your issue.

Well worth replacing all four if you can with new as saves having the same issue again!

Hope that helps.
Thank you for the help

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Injector, remove rail guard, remove injector rail, put a towel under rail, get someone to turn the car over for a few seconds whilst you watch. It will be obvious which injector has failed when they spray fuel.

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
Injector, same symptoms as mine, I've had two go so I've replaced them all now. £40ish quid on ECP, less with a weekend *% off offer ;)

Clio 172 ph1
I would personally check the resistance across the injectors, as unplugging the injectors will only tell you which cylinder is misfiring - could be the injector, but also other things like leads, plugs, coil pack etc

I had the same and change the injector only for it to be the leads (£46 wasted)

You can check the resistance easily with the injectors in place, should be around 16ohms from memory, but you'll see a clear difference if one is faulty.

Westfield, 182, 200
As above, I think good 14-16 ohms, faulty ones 3-4 ohms (on the 2 I've replaced).
I had number 2 go on mine a couple of months ago-Be aware, Renault number the cylinders from the flywheel end!!
Takes 15 minutes to swap one, it helps to lube the Orings before you push the rail back in.

Westfield, 182, 200
I used red grease used on brake caliper seals as I had some handy, but anything that won't attack rubber.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
All spitting and going in dry jokes aside, I've had a mare with my car misfiring. I created a thread and after lots of shenanigans of swapping injectors with some used ones I'm no further. Recently replaced sparks and leads with no luck. No flashing EML anymore which is a plus. But the code still appears after 15 seconds or so of running. Next stop - coil packs. Good luck with finding out your issue!

Renault Clio 172
All spitting and going in dry jokes aside, I've had a mare with my car misfiring. I created a thread and after lots of shenanigans of swapping injectors with some used ones I'm no further. Recently replaced sparks and leads with no luck. No flashing EML anymore which is a plus. But the code still appears after 15 seconds or so of running. Next stop - coil packs. Good luck with finding out your issue!
Im changing coil pack, leads and plugs today so ill let you know if it cures it, if not ill have to go and grab some new injectors

RB 182 FF
If it doesn't change anything, before you decide to go to and replace the injectors which are very costly, chuck a bottle of redex or similar in a full tank and fuel and rag it around for a while... Despite what negative things people say about it, it definitely cleans stubborn deposits and can clear an injector issue....