ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Missing bolts and exposed spark plugs.

Took the engine cover off yesterday, to try and isolate a vibrating noise when driving fast on track.

Noticed that some of the top bolts were missing, think there were 6 or so holes there. But only 3 had a bolt in. There was definitely 3 non bolts. Does this matter? Never noticed it before. Everything seems firm. My mechanic didn't say anything. The ones which are there are laid out symmetrical.

Also with the plastic engine cover off I noticed the spark plugs were a bit open to the elements. Does this matter at all? Thought maybe as electrical, they might need to be covered. And therefore keeping the engine cover off permanently would be a bad idea.

Cheers

Lotus Elise
Where are the bolts missing from? The plenum or rocker cover? Spark plugs are fine, try and get some pictures up, always helps.

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
The engine cover keeps the coil pack dry but it's mainly cosmetic. I took mine off and not had any problems

I dont know what a plenum or rocker cover or coil pack is lol :S sorry.

The plastic cover is off. But the bolts im on about are on the actual engine.

I'll try get a photo up, bare with me.

Cheers

Lotus Elise
Plenum is the bit that has RenaultSport cast on top of it, the rocker cover is below this and has lots of 10mm bolts in rows of two.

Lotus Elise
That right there is the plenum. The missing bolts are where the engine cover attaches and the one on the middle is a locating dowel nothing to worry about.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Hi, what size screwdriver is required to open the 4 bolts? I just want to put some engine oil, realised I don't have tools to open engine cover. Pity lame!!!

T30 torx. Shouldn't need to remove it to top up oil though