ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 locking wheel nuts, HELP!!

mk1 ph2 1.4
Okay recently I seem to have 'misplaced' the locking wheel nut for my car.:( Ive read various ways of getting htem off howver they are the original renault ones and therefore i cant get a socket over them becasue of the circular bit on the nut round the middle. Ive tried to hammer it off with a screwdriver, but its proving difficult...
Ive read that some renault locking wheel nuts are the same, are they all the same for same model clios, or same year clios etc. Anyone know?? If so anyone got one I could buy/borrow(ill pay for postage ofcourse) because it would be a hell of a lot easier than diying them off!
My cars a 1995 clio 1.4 champs elysees btw.

If not anyone had tje same problem with the renault locking wheel nuts, what did you do to get them off??

any help appreciated!!

cheers,
chris

mk1 ph2 1.4
Okay to simplify:

lost my locking wheel nut,

- do the same models or years etc use the same renault key?
- If so anyone have one for sale/ i could borrow for a day
- If not then whos removed theirs before and howd u do it??

I really need to know asap so i can take my wheels off and finish fitting the brakes tomorow!

picture:

DSC01794.gif

thanks in advance!

Okay to simplify:

lost my locking wheel nut,

- do the same models or years etc use the same renault key?
- If so anyone have one for sale/ i could borrow for a day
- If not then whos removed theirs before and howd u do it??

I really need to know asap so i can take my wheels off and finish fitting the brakes tomorow!

picture:

DSC01794.gif

thanks in advance!
That looks like the normal Mk2 early phase 2 ones. There about 30 types i think. You've a few options to get it off either get a similar sizes socket and hammer it on and remove it (socket and the nut are then binned) or try a dealership see if they have a bunch to let you try and use to find out whcih is the right one for your car. New lokcing nuts are £6 or so I think on order.

mk1 ph2 1.4
Well theres the problem, my car is undrivable atm due to putting williams brakes on the front, with the old bolts. I managed to drive the car home from my mates, however the brakes now seriously need rebleeding and i have the new bolts to fit, so i basically have no stopping power!

With the socket idea, how do i go about breaking off the outer circular rim, if i persist with a decent screwdriver and hammer will it break off? Without taking it off i cant get the socket on!

cheers again,
chris

With the socket idea, how do i go about breaking off the outer circular rim, if i persist with a decent screwdriver and hammer will it break off? Without taking it off i cant get the socket on!

You don't you hammer the socket on so it goes in the gap. Halfords etc sell kits to remove wheel nuts like this which basically do the same thing once the bolts out you bit it and the socket etc.

Other option to have some metal welded to the bolt and do it that way.

Nope won't break the coler off though.

mk1 ph2 1.4
oh lol :eek: . Well maybe ill just find a thinner socket or better fit then, haha, the ones i tried were no way going to fit in the that gap! Ill try halfords first see what they have to offer...

cheers edde