ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 Ph3 1.9D - Smoke on start and lumpy/cutting out

Bus w**ker
Morning,
My derv workhorse has an annoying niggle atm where when it's been sat for a while, like over night or all day, and I come to start it, it smokes it's c**k off and idles like s**t. If I don't rev it slightly for say 30 seconds to a minute it will cut out and die. Once it's warmed up however it runs perfectly and doesn't smoke at all, even when turned off and restarted after an hour or so.

It's had a recent full service, the cambelt changed not long before that and I've run a full tank with some Redex s**t through it, but still it does it. Not really causing me any problems as it runs fine once it's up to temp but it's annoying. Actually thinking about it I don't remember it doing it before the cambelt was done.

I've done searches galore but can't find any sort of cure, or at least nowt that means anything to me lol. One of the threads suggested EGR Valve, but this was about a DCi and so I've no idea if my little heap even has one lol.

Any ideas of what could be causing it and what to try to resolve it?

Thanks for anyhelp,

Sy

Bus w**ker
Replaced it, along with all filters and fluids, on my last service mate (less than 1500 miles ago), I thought it might be clogged or full of crap but it made no difference.

To be honest I've never looked to see. I'd assume that it doesn't though because if I remember rightly it's a lucus pump and I think it was the bosch pumps that were heated, could be wrong though.

Replaced it, along with all filters and fluids, on my last service mate (less than 1500 miles ago), I thought it might be clogged or full of crap but it made no difference.

To be honest I've never looked to see. I'd assume that it doesn't though because if I remember rightly it's a lucus pump and I think it was the bosch pumps that were heated, could be wrong though.

Was the lucus / Cav pumps that was heated:)

t3 corolla 116bhp
have you checked the condition of the glow plugs? i know on the 1.5 dci they can be required for post-heating after the engine is started for up to 60 seconds but once the coolant reaches around 80deg or so they turn off. not sure id the 1.9d is similar but worth having a look at them, especially if the problem is on first start and idle. i'd imagine an injector fault, choked filter or knackered pump would be evident on more occasions than just first start but i could be wrong on that :)

personally i'd still check the plugs

Bus w**ker
Was the lucus / Cav pumps that was heated:)
That would be me being wrong PMSL. Ta for the info.
have you checked the condition of the glow plugs? i know on the 1.5 dci they can be required for post-heating after the engine is started for up to 60 seconds but once the coolant reaches around 80deg or so they turn off. not sure id the 1.9d is similar but worth having a look at them, especially if the problem is on first start and idle. i'd imagine an injector fault, choked filter or knackered pump would be evident on more occasions than just first start but i could be wrong on that :)

I'll give them a check over at the weekend, might even just replace them anyway as god knows how long they have been in.

Thanks

Sy

On the old Mk1 Diesels the glow plugs only stay on for around 20 seconds to help with starting pretty sure they don't get used for post heating, But don't quote me on that..

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Check glow plugs

Glow plug heater relay ( sents current to the glow plugs )

connections to the glow plugs and the relay.

I guarantee it will be one of the above

Bus w**ker
Uber. Thanks guys. I'll check it out this weekend when it's not pitch black and report back lol.