ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MK2 Clio Campus Sport - Hard to select and crunching gears?

Clio Campus Sport
I have a MK2 Clio Campus Sport (56 plate) and have an issue with selecting gears. When the car is cold, occasionally when changing into 3rd, 5th or back into 1st, it will crunch and not go into gear until I put it back into neutral, take my foot of the clutch and try again. Once the car is warmed up, the crunching will stop but feels difficult to get into pretty much any gear, especially 1st, 3rd and 5th which feels like you need to put more force into getting it into gear, almost feels notchy when changing and sometimes doesn't go in at all. Reverse has been problematic since I've had the car, it is almost impossible to use and when it is in gear, it will very frequently just pop out and go back into neutral unless I physically hold the gear stick.

I'm fairly certain the clutch will need changing soon, you need to bring your foot pretty much all the way up for the biting point and hardly need to press the clutch down to change gear. I was just wondering, with these problems, can it mean the gearbox may need reconning/replacing as well? Also what is the rough cost of doing the work since I weighing up whether to just sell it and get another car?

P-Co

ClioSport Club Member
  Hyundai Santa Fe
Sorry to hijack a little.

I'm new to the forum, just bought the same model and have the same problem but with 1st gear only and it doesn't matter if the car is hot or cold.

If i stop at traffic lights/junction and try to select 1st gear it is like trying to select reverse without lifting the ring, it just won't go in at all but if i dis-engage the clutch and re-engage it then it will go into 1st like normal without a problem.

In my case all other gears are fine and so is the clutch (bite is low and strong and no problem with any other gear).

Any help would be great.