ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk2 dual optics adjustment

hi folks, i had bit ofa search but couldn't find what i was looking for. I apologise if i seem a bit dim and the answer is staring me in the face.
I fitted Dual optics into my Mk2, and did the wiring change to let them work (albeit still havent managed to do the relay bit) my question is:

Do these only have the Vertical adjustment wheel? i have 6000k HIDs in them as the standard bulbs were rubbish, however i have a suspicion they're shining just a little high in the air above dead ahead, i've had to put the adjsuter wheel onto 3 or 4 so they're shining enough on the road - i also don't want them shining through someone rear windows and blinding them (they are in projectors though!). When driving down the road - you can very clearly see the blue illumination from them on road signs wayyyy down the road.
I had a look under the bonnet and saw the white adjuster cog on them, i was going to park up against a wall and adjust them down more - is there only vertical or do these also have horizontal adjustment? Just in case they're too far off to one side.
Should headlights be shining slightly down to the road, i.e. /not/ dead ahead? also: do you have to re-align headlights every time you remove/replace bulbs?

thanks guys!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I can't remember for the life of me.

If I had to guess, park approx 1m away from a wall, set the lights to the middle point on the internal adjuster, go for about 75cm off the floor. See how you get on.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Are the servo arms seated in the linkages correctly? If they're not they can make the beam shine too high.

The vertical adjustment on a pair of dual optics is on the servo itself, and there's a left-right adjustment on the headlamp block (it's a little white wheel)

Are the servo arms seated in the linkages correctly? If they're not they can make the beam shine too high. The vertical adjustment on a pair of dual optics is on the servo itself, and there's a left-right adjustment on the headlamp block (it's a little white wheel)

Can you explain this a little more McGherkin? I'm a little puzzled - what i had seen was a white toothed wheel with an allen key hole (i think) for adjustment so that's horizontal?
I did read in a few threads about making sure the adjustment servo is 'clicked'/locked in the in-car adjuster does move them up and down so i'm assuming this is working - how do i change the height independently of this?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
That little wheel is manual adjustment mate, he's just saying make sure the adjust is in the slot properly. Have a check, you'll be able to see if they're not.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I've got a spare Dual Optic kicking around at the moment :)dapprove:), gimme about half an hour to take pics and draw arrows and things and I'll post up a bit of a guide here.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Right, here goes. Here's your Dual Optic as viewed from the back.

Photo%2027-06-2013%2018%2012%2006.jpg

I've labelled the bits which normally adjust the left/right aim and height of the headlamp. Realistically you shouldn't need to touch the left/right aim. The height is altered using a 6mm allen key.

The servo unscrews to show this:
Photo%2027-06-2013%2018%2012%2047.jpg

If the ball at the end of the servo arm isn't in the socket (It slides upwards into it), it will cause your headlight to aim massively high.

Hope that helps ;)

Thank you so much for this!! I was looking at the left/right aim, i wouldn't have even seen that on top of the servo!

Just so i'm clear on it - the servo ball needs to click up into that socket on fitting, but it's possible to miss it and you can still adjust the height in-car but by default they'll aim high?

I feel so bad now for the people i've been driving behind at night :(

Thanks a lot for your help once again!

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Just so i'm clear on it - the servo ball needs to click up into that socket on fitting, but it's possible to miss it and you can still adjust the height in-car but by default they'll aim high?

Correct, IIRC I had to switch it all the way down to position 4 in the car in order to get them to the correct height before I found out what was wrong when I did it!