ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk4 Check Auto Gearbox - solved 🤞🏼

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
This is more of a FYI post.

3 weeks and 1000 miles ago I had the Transmission control module replaced and coded in a bid to fix the dreaded ‘CHECK AUTO GEARBOX’ error which has plagued me and the car for about 18 months on and off.

For reference:
💜 2013 ph1 200t lux
💜 First started throwing faults at 120,000 miles / 8 years old
💜 Now on 141,600 miles

💛 Would drive absolutely fine when the error message was not displayed.
💛 Would only display the fault message when ambient temps were above 20°c
💛 Would only display error message after a period of driving (probably due to heat soak).
💛 Would lose even gears only (2,4,6 & R)
💛 OBD fault codes were ‘Clutch motor 2 short circuit to earth’ plus lots of random electrical ones like ‘battery voltage 12v open or short circuit to earth’ , ‘starter relay open or short circuit to earth’ , ‘seatbelt warning light circuit open or short circuit to earth’ and ‘brake/accelerator pedal positions, jammed accelerator pedal detected’.

Now I know the go to fix is first off a battery - I’ve had 3 batteries in just over a year (the 1st one got cooked when the BMS wire corroded through causing it to overcharge). The original battery is still being used in another vehicle so I doubt there was actually anything wrong with it in the first place.

I got a second opinion from another garage who confirmed what my mechanic said which was that the clutches were knackered. I decided to with my gut feeling (& the cheaper option) and changed the TCM. While it was at the Renault dealer they checked the clutch wear and yes while the clutches are worn (as you’d expect for a 140k mile car) they aren’t worn out. 😁.

I’m not saying that a new TCM will fix everyone’s CHECK AUTO GEARBOX issues, it seems to have fixed mine 🤞🏼.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
200.gif

2014 Clio 200t edc
This is more of a FYI post.

3 weeks and 1000 miles ago I had the Transmission control module replaced and coded in a bid to fix the dreaded ‘CHECK AUTO GEARBOX’ error which has plagued me and the car for about 18 months on and off.

For reference:
💜 2013 ph1 200t lux
💜 First started throwing faults at 120,000 miles / 8 years old
💜 Now on 141,600 miles

💛 Would drive absolutely fine when the error message was not displayed.
💛 Would only display the fault message when ambient temps were above 20°c
💛 Would only display error message after a period of driving (probably due to heat soak).
💛 Would lose even gears only (2,4,6 & R)
💛 OBD fault codes were ‘Clutch motor 2 short circuit to earth’ plus lots of random electrical ones like ‘battery voltage 12v open or short circuit to earth’ , ‘starter relay open or short circuit to earth’ , ‘seatbelt warning light circuit open or short circuit to earth’ and ‘brake/accelerator pedal positions, jammed accelerator pedal detected’.

Now I know the go to fix is first off a battery - I’ve had 3 batteries in just over a year (the 1st one got cooked when the BMS wire corroded through causing it to overcharge). The original battery is still being used in another vehicle so I doubt there was actually anything wrong with it in the first place.

I got a second opinion from another garage who confirmed what my mechanic said which was that the clutches were knackered. I decided to with my gut feeling (& the cheaper option) and changed the TCM. While it was at the Renault dealer they checked the clutch wear and yes while the clutches are worn (as you’d expect for a 140k mile car) they aren’t worn out. 😁.

I’m not saying that a new TCM will fix everyone’s CHECK AUTO GEARBOX issues, it seems to have fixed mine 🤞🏼.
Just out of interest sash, what was the cost of the replacement tcm? I was under the impression and hoping that these cars were pretty bomb proof apart from the battery issues, this is something to keep an eye on!
glad your getting yours sorted and hopefully it’s the last of the problems for you!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Just out of interest sash, what was the cost of the replacement tcm? I was under the impression and hoping that these cars were pretty bomb proof apart from the battery issues, this is something to keep an eye on!
glad your getting yours sorted and hopefully it’s the last of the problems for you!
To be fair I’d say they were pretty good. Sash has done a load of miles in hers, including lots of miles from people with Zero mechanical sympathy. I’d say the fact it wasn’t the clutches after all is testament to how good they are.

2014 Clio 200t edc
To be fair I’d say they were pretty good. Sash has done a load of miles in hers, including lots of miles from people with Zero mechanical sympathy. I’d say the fact it wasn’t the clutches after all is testament to how good they are.
Fingers crossed. I know the same engine in the jukes have very few problems and many have been tuned much higher than the Clio’s. Ricardo’s clio has a hybrid turbo and has for many miles. It’s just nice to know what issues could arise.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
I purchased the TCM last year but never got around to fitting it as the weather cooled down and a new battery appeared to ‘fix’ it. I think it was around the £800 mark but don’t quote me on it. Then there’s the fitting which is a dealer job as it’s not plug and play the module needs programming to the car.

The reason for my post is to try and help people avoid spending loads of cash on the red herring faults that it throws up as a result of this electrical issue. Had I have blindly gone along with what 2 separate mechanics (both very knowledgeable but not necessarily on these RS’s) both said was the issue I would have been £2.5k down on a new clutch pack and still having issues which obviously has an impact on my business.
I’ve had the car almost 4.5 years and over 120k. This has been the only major problem so far. I’ve done wishbone bushes, arb bushes, brakes, tyres and oil changes which are all service items in my eyes, it has been hands down one of the best cars I’ve ever owned.