ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

more air!!!

OK then, Captain, what do you recomend we should all do for an induction system? Just keep it as standard? or what?

BMW 320d Sport

hehe I knew youd have to answer that one Joe! but whatever you say, and a lot of it makes sense, as an ex-engineer I simply cannot accept theoretical arguments that dont match the facts that I see every day in my car, having experimented with many different induction systems.

It is only in the last year or so that aftermarket manufacturers have been going back to the airbox principle rather than pushing induction kits, but Ive been changing my induction system every few months and trying different things for the last three years! The fact of the matter is that at speed with my ram-induction system and my engine, there is a noticeable leaning of the inlet charge in proportion to the speed you are driving at, above around 75mph. This was with the fuel map and pressure staying standard. TO compensate for the increased volume of air entering the cylinders, the fuelling had to be adjusted on the chip to get a greater and more even fuel supply at the upper half of the revs, and fuel pressure was slightly increased.

As you know, the simple fact is that the more power you want your engine to make, the more air/fuel charge you must burn, in the correct proprtion. By increasing the air volume with the ram induction and having to increase the fuel side by fiddling with the chip and the fuel pressure, I have achieved that. It pulls like a train on the motorway and it didnt before. The AFR at between half throttle and WOT demonstrably goes totally lean at high speed (without extra fuelling to compensate) which it doesnt at low speed.

Maybe there is some other, more complex explanation of why all these effects that I expected have been happening following my installation of this system. Or maybe its just that my simple theory was correct and it has been borne out in practice?

BTW Im pretty sure that the inlet air is no colder being rammed in from a front mounted ram-scoop than it is from being sucked in from the calm, much more sealed area in front of the wheelarch - on a standard 16v this is just behind the foglight and panelled off, there are no effective heat sources anywhere near it.

Hi Nick.

Just as a side note, how are you testing the AF ??.. are you using a lamda take off ?.

Also, how does the car perform without the inlet being in the speed related airstream ?.

Where are you based >,, would be fun to meet up and test some theories.. maybe a workshop day for the club..

I have the AP22 and a portable gas analyser.. we could also use the RR at bury if necessary.. might be good for a north of england meet ?.

Joe

BMW 320d Sport

Joe, yes I am using the signal from the lama sensor and before you say it, no I am not going to drive around with a bloody great lab-quality exhaust gas analyser bolted into my tailpipe. My lamda sensor readings have been checked against external gas analysing equipment and it is reading correctly.

I wouldnt know how it performs without the inlet in the airstream because the ram scoop is a permanent modification to my car. It certainly doesnt knock out phenomenal figures on the rr because there simply isnt the air pressure there to simulate real driving at 75mph+, most of it is directed through the radiator.

I will try blocking off the system though and seeing if it makes a difference though. We will meet up sometime though Joe, youre a bit too far north for me though!

Ford Focus 1.4 LX

FYI I am now selling my PiperX Viper kit for no other reason than i desperately need the money.

See the For Sale section for details.

Dave

Having only owned my williams for a month, Ive just notice that the intake pipe near the rad had been disconnected, this means it has been sucking in hot air from the engine bay. Ive now connected it back up to the original spec- should I notice a big differnce in performance or will it be minimal? Im asking because my cars is off the road all the moment so Im unable to test it! Waiting for the manifold to come back from the welders.
Thanks