ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

More rice? [DC5 content]

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Hello CS, my old friend.

I still visit the forum quite regularly, though I'll admit I only really visit this section. Haven't had a Clio my for 3 years now! How time flies.

Anyway I wanted to show you all the new motor:
15952324202_e3faf94322_b.jpg

It's a 2002 DC5 Type R. I decided about a month ago that having a boring daily wasn't working so began looking for another E46 (330ci/M3). Unfortunately nothing took my fancy, so I started looking at other stuff. I knew I wanted either a M3, a DC5, or a Mk5 GTi Golf. Found a Golf initially, but it turned out to be a shed. That's when I found the DC5.

The previous owner had it 3 years and was clearly enthusiastic about it. Unfortunately he clearly didn't visit internet forums often so wasn't too aware of what stuff to do and not to do lol. It had a few gash stickers (Dude, I almost had you/RiP buster etc), shitty Toyo T1Rs, and needed a wheel refurb but was rust free and in budget. It's also by far the cleanest car I've had both externally and internally - keeping up with that will be a task! I r not interest in detailing anymore. It also has full Mugen suspension which is pretty cool.

Plans are to keep it looking as it is with maybe a 40mm drop on eibach springs in the future. New tyres are needed badly, I might order them tonight. Going to go for Bridgestone RE070 as they're only £69 at the moment on Camskill.

Here it is with the DC2. Taking the '2 to Brands Hatch on Monday, can't wait!

15333363633_6e4acb483f_b.jpg

15333365593_373a9090dc_b.jpg

I'll expect the first question to be how do they compare. The speed of the DC5 is pretty unreal at times. The gear ratios are almost perfect and you'll find yourself progressing through the gears a lot faster than you'd expect. Which is faster? In a straight line the DC5 would probably edge it, though not by much. My DC2 is overdue a tune as straight line performance is far from its strength.

I can't really compare the handling as the Toyo Proxes tyres really do let the car down. Can't wait to get some decent rubber on! (it still grips, but the tyres let go before the car is anywhere near its peak). A lot of videos I've watched of Best MOTORing usually states that the drives don't really feel the weight increase. Stock for stock maybe, but it definitely feels a bit dopier than the DC2, though again that may be down to the tyres.

Will keep this updated if there's any interest.

Cheers
Dan

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Lovely, always liked the DC5, are you keeping the DC2 though? Seems a bit pointless.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
WANT. In the best colour too.
Cheers pal - yeah it had to to be white and red just like my DC2! (well originally anyway)
Lovely, always liked the DC5, are you keeping the DC2 though? Seems a bit pointless.
Yeah. Why does it seem pointless?
One is a very special daily driver, which is comfy/dry/quiet, and one is a track car which is none of those things lol. They're very similar cars on the surface, but not in practice.
Love it! Special car.
Cheers mate!

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I can see why, its fair enough but I think it would just be more interesting to have 2 cars that are quite different.

Having not driven either of them I obviously can't say too much though. Either way 2 brilliant cars.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Proper car! Love these a lot... for some reason they never seem to photo quite as well as they look in the flesh but I think you've done a good job there :D

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
How do both compare to a clio, Power/handling wise? I'm looking into getting rid of the clio for a dc5 next year at some point.
The main problem in a clio for me was seating positing. In both the ITRs the stock driving position is excellent - exactly as you want. The Clio was more like you were sat on it, not in it.
Clio's are very capable cars, but at the last track day I was on there were 3 172 Cups, and I was faster than each of them.

Ad

MK2 FRS
Only driven a DC5 once and I remember how sweet it was.... They have stayed timeless lookswise too.

In fact off to look on PH!

The main problem in a clio for me was seating positing. In both the ITRs the stock driving position is excellent - exactly as you want. The Clio was more like you were sat on it, not in it.
Clio's are very capable cars, but at the last track day I was on there were 3 172 Cups, and I was faster than each of them.
That's good to hear, I look forward to seeing some updates!