ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mot fail on emissions ?

clio 172 phs1 turbo
Hi as above cars failed mot
I have a phase 1 172 125k 230bhp turbo conversion 6-7psi sports cat, cat back exhaust standard internals aem ecu.
rest of the mot passed just the emissions failed on co hc co2 the whole test failed in other worlds lol. Iv got the printout in my car in the garage, when i go i will get the print out and upload the readings but for now the readings was completly off the scale hc was reading about 800-900 with 200 being the max limit.
So what iv done so far has bought it done but still faill
Iv changed o2 sensor and checked to make switching/working etc was switching between .2v - .8v which is ok
Removed and cleaned map sensor and checked to make sure volts as increasing when reving which was fine.
Changed coli pack ht leads and spark plugs with renault pack and leads and ngk platinums and measured the gap to .28 wih feeler gauges which i hope was correct for a low comp turbo? might need that corrected if wrong?
Removed the exhaust and fitted new mesh doughnut, metal gaskets and paste as noticed down pipe to cat gasket slight leak under boost.
Changed coolant temp sensor and intake temp sensor
Made sure all pipes was tight and not leaking (used the soapy water and reved engine idea) no leakings.
And used redex and raggggggeeddd the nuts out of it with vpower and it feels better to drive but emissions still high :-/.
If how ever i disconected the carbon canister vac pipe and induce a vac leak it will drop the emisions to almost pass point?
Hc drop below 200 pass, co2 1.35 pass is 1.3, but lambda want settle prob vac leak related but will then shoot back up and down then idle test just sky rockets again.
So big question is could it be mapping gona wild? Dont think its injector as plugs not sooted up or ceramic burnt.
Car runs and drives excellent never of know it was that bad might get a bit of hc smell when cold.
Has any one got any idea before i go back to garage who fitted and mapped it.
Any help would be greatfull as got no mot atm and not a risk taker as i live in essex and work in london so fuzz with cameras are everywhere lol

clio 172 phs1 turbo
Bought the cat from a guy on here about 2 months ago said only used for a bit then decated it so would like think its ok or am i to trusting?

clio 172 phs1 turbo
Hmm would that be a educated guess or borderline positive lol iv already had a quote for a pattern cat for £120 to get thru mot then i can put my decat back but mondays another day ill check it all again including the cat and report back but if wana one has more input im all ears before i start attacking it again

dan's cast offs.
get them to bring the idle up slowly for the fast idle. might need to hold it for a while for it to settle down.

clio 172 phs1 turbo
Yeah had it roasting hot
iv got i inferred temp reader i forgot about might check the cat with it. its gota be the same temp after the cat isnt it? and if he temps low after the cat, cats constipated lol
Cheers again for help guys

clio 172 phs1 turbo
Yeah 5-6 days a week about 50miles each day to work and back which is town/slash b road driving and sometimes blast up the motorway on the way home as theres a nice long tunnel :)

clio 172 phs1 turbo
Co 1.40 .2 limit
Hc passed 147 200 limit
Lambda 1.3 1.03 pass
Iv just checked the cat with my inferred gun im getting 230-240 c at front and 120-130 at back
And its heat wrapped and at 2500-2800 rpm and engine is roasting
I think the cat is pooped what you think?

clio 172 phs1 turbo
And those readings are with the carbon can pipe disconnected its much higher with it connected up

Clio 182 Track Car
I would suggest its over fueling - Generally speaking weak defective cat's effect mainly the CO reading only.

clio 172 phs1 turbo
Cool so less heat at back of cat wouldnt really mean the cat is pooped then?
With the pipe connected fast idle
Co 2.3ish
Hc 540ish
Lambda goes up and down 1.3 tops .8 lowest dosnt settle
Idle co 3.2 ish
Was higher before i done the stuff at top of page 'parts done so far'

clio 172 phs1 turbo
Actuallythinking about it when it was getting mapped his dyno was breaking alot had to got back 3-4 times before it was got done. maybe mapped with dodgey afr readings?

Co 1.40 .2 limit
Hc passed 147 200 limit
Lambda 1.3 1.03 pass
Iv just checked the cat with my inferred gun im getting 230-240 c at front and 120-130 at back
And its heat wrapped and at 2500-2800 rpm and engine is roasting
I think the cat is pooped what you think?

clio 172 phs1 turbo
I dont really wana name and shame untill iv spoken to him about if its the map but if hes any other then helpfull i will lol. So according to the video cat is past it, but its still to high to have everything fail im gona plus im buying new tomorrow hopfully

clio 172 phs1 turbo
Sorry type o
Im gona get a no questions asked mot then get the map looked at or option 2 (whilst i findout whats happed to clio) Buying a new car tomorrow, e46 325 compact as very cheap and has everything already for drifting welded diff, coilovers, rack spacers, and hydro brake. :)