ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MPSL lines - General basic query.

Rav4
Hi guys,

I have 3 sites, from the same provider, with the same service 8mb SHDSL.

I want to implement an MPLS network with those three sites.

Currently going through a reseller and they want to charge ridiculous amounts of money, new lines, new hardware + large installation costs simply just to provide the MPLS infrastructure.

Isn't it as simply as simply using different routers and changing the protocols which are used?

I'd understand if we changed supplier (obviously) but staying with the same supplier and being charged a huge amount sounds like being shafted.

Thanks,

G.

182FF with cup packs
No, it is not as simple as using different routers.

With an MPLS network you are connecting into their MPLS WAN and then your tagged packets are routed over that private network to their destination. What it sounds like you have is a SHDSL internet connection on each site, so you connecting into the public internet. Totally different networks.

To use your current infrastructure you would be better off setting up a meshed route based VPN between the sites.

It also depends on what termination they are looking at for the MPLS, most places terminate using proper leased lines as opposed to something run over the phone network (though you can get ADSL termination for MPLSs, but it depends on the local provider), so you'll be looking at a minimum of a 10mb bearer to get 8mb bandwidth.

To be perfectly honest, for 3 sites, MPLS probably isn't worth it, unless you're planningg on putting a whole load of other sites online, just getyourself a halyway decent firewall for each site and setup VPNs, or maybe something like a packeteer which will also accelerate the traffic IIRC (it's been a while since I did the course, but IIRC Packeteers can setup IPSec tunnels between each other)

Rav4
Thanks Pinko.

We currently have VPN's, but we are looking at doing larger backups from site to site as well as looking to implement VoIP throughout the offices and with the MPLS's guaranteed CoS and QoS kind of makes sense, but I see where you are coming from.

We are looking at adding two offices at a later date, but with EFM instead of SHDSL.

Yes, we currently have individual break out points :)

182FF with cup packs
Sounds like you'll probably have to bite the bullet and go MPLS. You won't be disappointed though, as for a start the bandwidth you pay for will be the bandwidth you get, and it is much easier to upgrade the available bandwidth at a later date as they will generally put in a much larger bearer than you need and then cap the available bandwidth, depending on the service you agree, they may even give you burst ability up to the bear bandwidth.

It also means you need less kit on each end, and there's less to troubleshoot, especially in comparison to a VPN mesh.

Rav4
Awesome Pink, thanks very much.

What do you think about these prices?

Two break out points, as I am paranoid about the single point of failure.

table.png

Last edited:
  182FF with cup packs
To be honest, I'm probably the wrong person to ask about prices, I always leave that upto someone else :p

Though it might be worth taking into account that if most of the traffic is going to be from your smaller sites to your main site, your main site should have a larger bandwidth than all the satellite sites.