ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MS Flight Sim 2020

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Anyone else playing this? I'm a bit obsessed with it at the minute. The scenery is absolutely unreal!
Way too many controls for an Xbox controller though

007c90ce-7424-41dc-a6b9-1bb4bb7227ea.png

aeda98e1-f9dd-4c26-96f2-b70f8bf0bbf2.png

19b76ed1-0611-4a78-9909-1796931b2282.png

ab84b880-d114-4784-b1ac-255be38c34c1.png

ca781bd2-640c-49ff-976c-ffdbf9695350.png

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Had hungover mess about on it at a mates other Sunday. Did exactly same as I did 20 years ago on flight sim 2000 and got bored after twenty minutes and started trying to loop the loop 747's. Pretty game but nothing to keep me interested

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Had hungover mess about on it at a mates other Sunday. Did exactly same as I did 20 years ago on flight sim 2000 and got bored after twenty minutes and started trying to loop the loop 747's. Pretty game but nothing to keep me interested
Yeah you've gotta be properly into it to enjoy it fully and not get bored

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Yup, as per the other day in the PC thread. LOVE flying IndiaFoxtEcho's aircraft in FSX so naturally I'm straight in the Goshawk. Just waiting on the F35 and considering getting the Typhoon that's already available or waiting for IFTE to bring over a 'phoon too. As you can tell, I'm very into my military aviation lol.

f**king EPIC flying in VR. Properly brilliant. And FS2020 is bloody gorgeous too.

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
Played it for a few hours after launch and it was amazing, GPU killer though.
Would have liked a joystick though as controller/keyboard was challenging at times

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Yup, as per the other day in the PC thread. LOVE flying IndiaFoxtEcho's aircraft in FSX so naturally I'm straight in the Goshawk. Just waiting on the F35 and considering getting the Typhoon that's already available or waiting for IFTE to bring over a 'phoon too. As you can tell, I'm very into my military aviation lol.

f**king EPIC flying in VR. Properly brilliant. And FS2020 is bloody gorgeous too.
I'd love to experience it in VR. No idea if it'll ever happen on Xbox though

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
I've been 'playing' flight sim for years on the PC. This is a massive step forward graphically, but even a year after the PC version was released it seems to still be struggling a bit to get buy in from the more hardcore flight simmers for realism. I'm just glad to see the back of the limitations of the old versions (FSX/P3D) with a million add-ons and constant bugs. This was long overdue and its great to just fly about and look at the world.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
So I recently bought a Series X (Xbox One wouldn’t fit in my new TV cabinet, so a Series X fit the ‘oh no!’ narrative).

I’ve never played a flight sim, or had much interest in aviation.

So, explain to me why I’m getting so much enjoyment from going through the start up procedure of a Cessna 152?

Honestly, I’m obsessed with this. A week ago I didn’t know what a trim control wheel was, and now I’m ‘flying’ in full sim mode (other than AI ATC, as I haven’t got my head around the acronyms yet and when to ‘speak’ to them).

I’m also tempted to get a stick and throttle…and now it apparently has K+M support…

I’ve gone full nerd.

(I’ve also not flown anything other than the little Cessna 😂)

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
So I recently bought a Series X (Xbox One wouldn’t fit in my new TV cabinet, so a Series X fit the ‘oh no!’ narrative).

So, explain to me why I’m getting so much enjoyment from going through the start up procedure of a Cessna 152?

Honestly, I’m obsessed with this. A week ago I didn’t know what a trim control wheel was, and now I’m ‘flying’ in full sim mode (other than AI ATC, as I haven’t got my head around the acronyms yet and when to ‘speak’ to them).

I’m also tempted to get a stick and throttle…and now it apparently has K+M support…

I’ve gone full nerd.

It’s very theraputic. It kills time in a very relaxing way. Euro Truck Simulator 2 is the same, stick the radio on, drive to somewhere, stick a few youtube videos on your phone, have a bevvy, relax (crash) and kill some time.

Plus you get a sense of achievement when you learn something new because aircraft are complex. Also MSFS is gorgeous too.

Flying with a stick/throttle is so much better, it allows you to be precise and fly the aircraft so much more smoothly. Well worth it.

I will say it’s a gateway drug though. It is still simplified. Be thankful you have a console instead of a PC because otherwise you might find yourself in DCS World spending 6 months learning how to operate an F-16C Viper and take joy in the fact that today you worked out how to operate the targeting pod with a laser guided munition.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

I’ve gone full nerd.

200.gif

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
My little lad loves it, he even has a preposterously expensive joystick, switch gear and throttle thing. I don’t get it, but he’s all over it and impressive to watch him take off and land

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
It’s very theraputic. It kills time in a very relaxing way. Euro Truck Simulator 2 is the same, stick the radio on, drive to somewhere, stick a few youtube videos on your phone, have a bevvy, relax (crash) and kill some time.

Plus you get a sense of achievement when you learn something new because aircraft are complex. Also MSFS is gorgeous too.

Flying with a stick/throttle is so much better, it allows you to be precise and fly the aircraft so much more smoothly. Well worth it.

I will say it’s a gateway drug though. It is still simplified. Be thankful you have a console instead of a PC because otherwise you might find yourself in DCS World spending 6 months learning how to operate an F-16C Viper and take joy in the fact that today you worked out how to operate the targeting pod with a laser guided munition.

Nailed it. I find it relaxing, and the sense of achievement is really high with such a learning curve. Even sticking a landing is hard graft for me!

Ok cool, I’ll check out a stick. I think there’s only one compatible one with Xbox, so that makes that easy! I don’t think I need rudder pedals though.

I think a mouse is a must. With the Xbox controller, you can’t toggle any options (ATC/map/etc) and fly at the same time, meaning the autopilot takes over. A small thing, but ruins the immersion. Not to mention trying to faff around with cockpit controls, it would be so much easier on the mouse. Setting trim is clunky too on the controller, but a stick/throttle should fix that.

The first time I discovered the trim wheel was at under 1000 feet and somehow instantly set it to 18 degrees. That wasn’t pretty 🤣

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Download the upgraded London scenery and fly something slow down the Thames. It's fuckin mint!

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Nailed it. I find it relaxing, and the sense of achievement is really high with such a learning curve. Even sticking a landing is hard graft for me!

Ok cool, I’ll check out a stick. I think there’s only one compatible one with Xbox, so that makes that easy! I don’t think I need rudder pedals though.

I think a mouse is a must. With the Xbox controller, you can’t toggle any options (ATC/map/etc) and fly at the same time, meaning the autopilot takes over. A small thing, but ruins the immersion. Not to mention trying to faff around with cockpit controls, it would be so much easier on the mouse. Setting trim is clunky too on the controller, but a stick/throttle should fix that.

The first time I discovered the trim wheel was at under 1000 feet and somehow instantly set it to 18 degrees. That wasn’t pretty 🤣
Think the Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas One works with the Series X. It’s not the most advanced stick in the world but being a HOTAS (Hand On Throttle And Stick) you can control most of the important functions of the aircraft without having to release the controls.

I’ll admit I rarely have time for radio although I know the general gist. MSFS is quite good at prompting you though.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Think the Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas One works with the Series X. It’s not the most advanced stick in the world but being a HOTAS (Hand On Throttle And Stick) you can control most of the important functions of the aircraft without having to release the controls.

I’ll admit I rarely have time for radio although I know the general gist. MSFS is quite good at prompting you though.

That’s the fella. Only £70 too.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I had one for a while, or I presume an earlier version of it as it was a while ago, it’s alright. You have a rudder bar on the back of the throttle which is quite nice to use compared to the usual twist stick for rudder (which it can do too)

Should have plenty of buttons for a Cessna

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I had one for a while, or I presume an earlier version of it as it was a while ago, it’s alright. You have a rudder bar on the back of the throttle which is quite nice to use compared to the usual twist stick for rudder (which it can do too)

Should have plenty of buttons for a Cessna

Perfect. I’d probably try and map it to the twist for rudders, and then use the bar for trim?

Slippery slope, I’ll be doing my PPL next 😂

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
The bar is self centering so best to use for rudder.

I tend to leave roll trim well alone, so pitch trim is easily just stuck on the two buttons on the back of the throttle.