ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Multi tool recommendation please

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
I'm looking for a multi tool, but there's too many to choose from.

It will be used for DIY jobs in and around the house, cut skirtingboards, holes in plasterboard, bit of sanding and removing grout in bathrooms etc.

First question is, corded or cordless? Cordless would be my preference but are they powerful enough?

Then the battery system, I've got makita 18v so that would be the obvious choice but am planning to get some Milwaukee M12 stuff anyway so that would be an option as well.

Is the M12 system powerful enough?

So choices are something like

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/milw...edhoxjW85BawdyqORb86k9M6-dGh09jQaAhAlEALw_wcB

Or read some good stuff about the corded Fein machines, something like this? Nice complete kit.

Any help greatly appreciated!

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Go cordless if you can, I've got an original corded fein, and a cordless bosch, the fein hardly gets used since buying the bosch. Only trouble with the bosch is price of blades since its starlock you can't use cheap blades.

Reactions: MLB

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
@Yorkshire Pudding haha I could've expected that, would have to be the M12 one though, 18v I might as well get the makita and I fear that the M12 might not have enough power..

@iimushroomzii thanks, that's good to know. Will need to read up on blades as well then, do you go through them quickly?

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Tbh Makita stuff is spot on. My grandad has been crossing off the full Makita book since 2019 and he swears by them and has done his kitchen, bathroom and built various things this year whilst being furloughed

He swears by them that much he had to buy a 4 port charger to put on the wall next to the existing 4 normal chargers😂😂 When I'm allowed there ill have to post some pics of his very perverted collection

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds awesome! They do have a very good selection of tools, especially with the 40V and 80V range I don't think there's much you can't get cordless anymore.

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
@Yorkshire Pudding haha I could've expected that, would have to be the M12 one though, 18v I might as well get the makita and I fear that the M12 might not have enough power..

@iimushroomzii thanks, that's good to know. Will need to read up on blades as well then, do you go through them quickly?

It all depends what you're cutting with them, if you're cutting timber and hit a nail then the blades destroy themselves pretty easily. Stuff like cutting laminate etc can also blunt them pretty quick. I'd suggest trying to get one that takes normal blades so you can buy some cheap ones off amazon etc. I use Saxton blades in my fein and my recip saw and they're pretty good for the money

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I've got a Makita 240v with quick release blades. I decided against a battery version as it's a tool I use for my day job sporadically so I can see me having it for years, by that point battery technology will undoubtedly have moved on possibly making a cordless obsolete - I've got so many relic NI-CAD and NI-MH drills as it is.

Anyway, I've had it 2-3 years now and it's got me out of a few sticky situations...tiling up to a closed door!😆

04-182

ClioSport Club Member
  AB Clio 182
I’ve got a mains Bosch green one. It has taken so much hammering over the last ten year and still going strong. The pukka Bosch blades are expensive but I buy cheap ones from eBay, Screwfix, toolstation etc and they fit fine and work well.
I thought about cordless but there has only been maybe one or two jobs where it was a pain to plug in.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
I've decided to just get the makita 18v, easy to stay with the same battery system and blades seem to be easy to get.

Bit bigger and heavier than I expected but getting the grout out of corners behind a toilet was super easy. Wouldn't have been able to do that without the multi tool!

20210205_152005.jpg