ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My beach shots

Fiesta ST-3
Took some beach shots tonight. One just normal Sunset capture. Then as the light when some slow shutter speed/sea scape pictures.

C+C Welcome

5554114048_1b61757004_z.jpg

5553526227_1dca07feba_z.jpg

5554110410_8581b4ef8a_z.jpg

5553520915_41526b0553_z.jpg

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Nice! I always seem to mess up long beach shots.
You have these down to a T. You should put the first shot in the comp.

Fiesta ST-3
That said all the pictures were taken with a PL filter which is pretty dusty. The camera is only months old and always has a lens attached.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Awesome Scott. What settings for low light shots? High iso ect?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
PL?

I'll be using a bridge camera with full manual settings. :eek:

My new pad has an epic view at night time.

Fiesta ST-3
All you will need mate is a tripod, long shutter speed and a high aperture so you get the star effect! As for what shutter speed it's just a case of trial and error until you get it spot on. Also try and use a delayed shutter like you would if taking a portrate of yourself so you don't get blurring.

182 & Porsche 986
really nice scott. did you use a nd filter? its picked up alot of blue in the white balance but i kinda of like it like that! :)

Fiesta ST-3
really nice scott. did you use a nd filter? its picked up alot of blue in the white balance but i kinda of like it like that! :)

Thanks, believe it or not the water in those parts is almost clear/aqua and you can easily see the bottom so it was very green/blue. No ND filter used.

Incorrect my stripy tailed lisped friend.

I asked the OP where he took the shots.

The rest of you sarcastic busterds could have kept quiet ;)

Haha taken at a place called Caerfai Bay in the Pembrokeshire Coast national park. It truly is an amazing beach.

And thank you all for the comments.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Incorrect my stripy tailed lisped friend.

I asked the OP where he took the shots.

The rest of you sarcastic busterds could have kept quiet ;)

Yep you did indeed, but you added "Don't say the beach" = ammunition for sarcastic busterds :approve:

Fiesta ST-3
Went back tonight again but this time had a play with the colours.

The waves were poor though so I'm going to go back on a rougher day.

5556328727_5ac404b56f_z.jpg

Sweet shots mate. Only thing i could say is the foreground needs to be a bit light, thats what grad filters are for.
I'd look into them.

Fiesta ST-3
Thanks Dan. I only have an ND2 and an ND2 grad so I had to go after sun set to get the effect I wanted. I will definitely consider it for my next trip. What time of day do you think is best and what grad filters would be required? Just out of interest.

Well I mainly use my Lee 0.6 GND Hard edge filter. That's a two stop filter. But I also have other filters that are 0.9 (3 stop) in hard and soft if I need them.

You can shoot at any time, thats the beauty of these filters.

Fiesta ST-3
Well I mainly use my Lee 0.6 GND Hard edge filter. That's a two stop filter. But I also have other filters that are 0.9 (3 stop) in hard and soft if I need them.

You can shoot at any time, thats the beauty of these filters.

Where do you get them from mate?

Well firstly, LEE filters are one of the best, so they ain't cheap! Also because of this there's a backlog of orders from pretty much everywhere that sells them. So expect to wait a few months if you place an order.
Cokin do filters too, which are good.
Have a look on warehouse express.com

"Navy" N17 TWO
Well firstly, LEE filters are one of the best, so they ain't cheap! Also because of this there's a backlog of orders from pretty much everywhere that sells them. So expect to wait a few months if you place an order.
Cokin do filters too, which are good.
Have a look on warehouse express.com

Dan, the LEE filters go onto a holder, I'm guessing is one size, then you just need the adapter ring for whatever size your lens is?

How do you choose between the hard & soft ND filters, I mean is there a nack in knowing which to choose for certain shots, or trial & error lol? :)

Yes you will need a 'holder', and then an adapter ring to fit your lenses existing filter thread.

Choosing between hard and soft is down to whatever you're photographing. If it's a nice flat horizon, then a hard would definitely be best. But if the horizon is all 'hilly' then a soft may be better. Does come down to a bit of T+E yes. :(