ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

my car is drinking petrol :(

mk5 fiesta zetec s
oreet everyone i have just looked at mpg and i am only gettin 23 mpg in a 1.6 on normal rounds without going over 3.k revs. is there anything that could be up with it because if it carrys on i may have to exchange my car:(. i got 85 miles out of 15 pounds

172 cup
oh dear. Just had my inlets matched on the cup and am averaging 38-40 mpg

on a not rubbing it in note. Lambda sensor? blowing exhaust? new air filter? when did you last change the plugs?

Megane 225 F1
Tyres. My 1.4 was getting poor mpg and then i reaslied that my tyres were a little bit flat and then it sorted itself out

mk5 fiesta zetec s
and you getting that on a 172 :( think i am going to cry lol. i got cda air filter, got the car in december and it had a service 1000 miles before i got it. would i be able to take it into a garage and they could find whats up with it?

172 cup
yes yes i am :) tyre pressure is another good point . . . not unless you've got codes coming up. taking it to garage i mean. Go for cheap options first. Pump up tyres, if dosnt work try spark plugs and so on

mk5 fiesta zetec s
orite cheers ill pump tyres up what psi should they be around? i want a 172 in april but i will only be 19 with 1 years no claims, how much do you think it will be around to insure?

172 cup
also if you want a fair few mpg back go back to standard airbox, stick a k& n panel filter in there if you want a bit of roar. Should see a fair few mpg back from that

erm insurance on a 172 at 19 with one year ncb. You'd be lucky to get third party for under 2k bud. Stick with the 1.6 untill your 21. I got mine at 20 with 2 years ncb and I had to really push for 1k insurance

mk5 fiesta zetec s
will try all this :) if it doesnt go up then may have to get a new wip. are 106 gti's bad on petrol insurance is the same as i am paying now.

mk5 fiesta zetec s
orite cheers had a saxo before,but 106 gti's do look pretty fun. if it isnt the tyres or spark plugs how much is a lamda sensor?

Evo 8 MR
First off check tyre pressure, it should be at 30/31 psi all round. Then get the car serviced and third, reset the trip computer and take the car for a good run and go from there. If the problem persists then there must be an underlying problem which judging by what you have said you are not going to detect yourself.

Could be the one of the lamba sensors...they can make your car drink the petrol..could get it tested if nothing else works. Eurocarparts sell them pretty cheap.

1.4 Dynamique
my 1.4 has averaged about 30mpg over the last 800 miles, thought it was pretty normal, does this sound bout right?

^^ my 1.2 is about 32mpg..but I like to use its full potential.

mines a mk2 ph2 btw.

Last edited:
  Golf GTD Mk7
which model we talking here, as the mk3 is poor on petrol due to weight. I'd have said that the mk2 1.2-1.6 should be getting around 36-40mpg when driven carefully.

Clio 172 cup
I took mine out and it weighed 19kg with the amp removed the spare wheel also and it made a huge difference to mpg and performance