ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My First Car - Lets Do Stuff

ahh, well at least you can mess around with the car and when it comes to your second car you'll be much more in tune with fixing it and sorting it out. This is probably the best place for technical help online!

Agreed, useful threads as well here if you find the right one, people here seem to be fine to help, even with a newbie like me haha!
I'm fine with more technical stuff with cars funnily enough, not so much "bodywork" stuffs...

I would give the car a full detail, get a cheap refurb on the wheels, lower it and just maintain it.

Great selfie.

I'm going to be around £30-£40 to get stuff to refurb the wheels myself.
Only thing that I'm not sure of about lowering the car is, if I get lowering springs I'm pretty skeptic if I can run on the same shocks... I'm yet to have a look into that though.

RB Clio 182
I'm going to be around £30-£40 to get stuff to refurb the wheels myself.
Only thing that I'm not sure of about lowering the car is, if I get lowering springs I'm pretty skeptic if I can run on the same shocks... I'm yet to have a look into that though.
Yea youll be fine with the same shocks mate as long as you dont go too low.

Have a look in here for some inspiration..

http://www.cliosport.net/threads/non-sports-in-here.331979/

I've got some pretty deep scratching/ kerb rash on the wheels which obviously are full of dirt, would it be a bad thing to use a wire brush in attempt to remove it all? I'm filling them in with metal filler anyway

Clio 172 - Track Car
Thank u buddy

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
f5a6e184dd434cada81a86af6f40339a.jpg

Not bad for 20 a corner!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
I got a set of OZ F1's for 50 quid, that were even more kerbed than your set (looked for a picture, but couldn't find it). You've got to make sure you remove any metal that's higher than the surface of the wheel would be, if that makes sense. For example, where the wheel scraped the kerb, sometimes metal has gouged out and there's a raised bit. This must be removed, otherwise you'll get a bad result. I found a powerfile to be useful on the worst bits, although a coarse wet and dry or regular file would be as good. The surface should be smooth to the touch before you go near filler, so all the high spots have been removed.
After this, start to put on the metal filler. You're gonna have to sand this flush with the surface of the wheel, so really don't want to be putting any more on the wheel than you need to. Once this is done, carefully sand it until the wheel feels perfect to the touch. Apart from the slightly different texture, you should notice nothing as you move your finger across. This is really time consuming btw.
Once you're done with that you're ready for paint.
I followed this guide on the whole, the results he got at the end are about the same as my final result.
http://forums.mg-rover.org/how-do-i...ish-alloy-wheels-detail-picture-heavy-427081/

Took the car in for a check up today and got this list back, overall I think it did not too bad, mostly easy fixes! *yay for my bank account*

1a241c2d0bd393d6ac17672d54e62915.jpg

Anybody got any advice towards anything on the list?

Pacman.

ClioSport Club Member
  Did have a R27
Give the car a good clean and Interior clean. Refurb the wheels and fix the minor problems. Don't do much else.

I wouldn't even bother trying to modify it just keep it clean and then just save for when your insurance comes down. Because clios that old will soon start racking up the bills.

[Update 2] – The Pre-MOT check up…

So, I decided that I’d throw the car in to the garage just to give it a quick look over and see what I need to sort mechanical-wise… I got a short list back of what is advised, which to be honest, I’d say is full of cheap and easy to fix stuff.

13 pre MOT.jpg

I went through the list and came up with this myself:
14 Pre MOT Highlighted.jpg

So, remember my initial list when I first got the car?

“1= Remove the 3 mud guards that are still somewhat attached, there wasn’t 4 on the car when I bought it.
2= Attempt to sort out the paintwork as best I can, clearly the car was never looked after from the previous owner(s) since there’s a few deep scratches and dents present.
3= Wind deflectors, these things are a must!
4= Exhaust needs sorted, it sounds like an autistic wasp when I’m accelerating…
5= Install a shorter radio antenna, the one already on the car (OEM) is fcuking massive… - why is it 738ft tall, Renault?
6= The headlights are cloudy/oxidised, I’ve sorted these before but it was half-assed so I’ll need to do it properly this time around.
7= Wanting to sort my alloys out, the previous owner(s) has had a field day kerbing them. Ill possibly sand blast them and spray them close to an anthracite colour?
8= Looking to maybe lower the car, it sits about 18 storeys high just as stock.”

-Here’s my review of that…
1= Done!
2= Pending
3= Ordered
4= Turns out it’s a loose heatshield!
5= Got it sitting around just need to put it on
6= Getting done at the weekend when I’m less busy for once
7= Pending
8= Nope decided against it!

So, in conclusion, by myself i'll be going over this at the weekend and I’ll be doing something productive-ish!

- Tighten the heat shield [Point 4 – sorted]
- Install shorter radio aerial [Point 5 – sorted]
- Wet & dry the headlights nice and proper [Point 6 – sorted]
- Stick the cables for my speakers under the carpet
- Sort the airbag light on the dash doing the typical “Renault fix”
- Properly clean my windscreen washers and pipes
- Top up the oil
- Give the car a wash

[Update 3] - Things are looking better!

So, what was I up to this weekend? I did a few things on the car that’s what, went to my girlfriend’s dads workshop since he has a ramp I can put the car on, he made up some new brake lines and fitted them, put a washer on the top mount of my suspension mount to stop the knocking when I turn and replaced my rear wheel bearing.

While he did that, I;
- Stuck the cables for my speakers under the interior trim.
- Sorted out my windshield washers.
- Topped up my engine oil.
- Fitted wind deflectors – Team HEKO’s (they finally arrived!).
- Tightened my rear heat shield on the exhaust.
- Secured my battery better.
- Replaced the brake fluid.
- Changed my side light bulbs.
- Changed my fog light bulb.
- Fitted my new aerial.
- Put on a couple of discreet stickers.

Windshield washers:

Cleaned these out properly by taking off all the pipes and taking out the motor and the nozzles by soaking the nozzles in water and vinegar for 20 minutes then blowing out the loose debris which worked an absolute treat! I just blew through the pipes to remove any debris as well as on the motor now finally the water can come through a lot faster and better.

All in all, an easy weekend really! All I have left is to sort out the passenger airbag and headlights.
None of the work was stressful, just time consuming with the break lines and trying to remove the damn wheel bearing... The shorter aerial looks so much better and cleaner on the car than the OEM one! And I can actually see my sidelights now, it was mad to notice how dull they actually were…

I would upload some pictures but i haven't had the time to take any with being so busy with work and personal life so ill try and get them taken through the week and upload them in the next update post!

I've just had a though, if a wet and dry my headlights good and proper and polish them, will I have to use some sort of UV protector/sealant after the polish or is just a polish good enough?

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
I've just had a though, if a wet and dry my headlights good and proper and polish them, will I have to use some sort of UV protector/sealant after the polish or is just a polish good enough?

You're best off using a UV sealant as with time they'll end up getting bad again as mine have done.

[Update 4] – Lights are restored and airbag light is fixed!

On the list, today:
- Wet & dry the headlights to restore them.
- “Renault fix” the passenger airbag.

Lights:
Decided to pick up the Auto Glym restoration kit, BEST £25 IVE EVER SPENT!
Lights were looking dire this morning in the sun so I decided to get myself to Halfords and spend some time on the lights. All in, I spent 2 hours doing them because the drill I was going to use was dead, so I did it by hand… and what a bloody result in the end even doing it that way!

Before I did anything to them:
15 OSF light.jpg
17 NSF light.jpg

After the job was done:
16 OSF light done.jpg
18 NSF light done.jpg

As you can see, they turned out hella good! I just wonder how long it’ll last before I need to do anything to them again?

Passenger airbag:
The “Renault fix” for the airbag is simple… take the passenger airbag cables from under the seat and solder them together so there’s a, let’s say, better connection… *valid sarcasm* which will stop the airbag light lighting up on the dash and keeping the service light on too!

I'm going to be refurbing the wheels on this in the next couple of weeks.
How much (roughly) would they probably be fully refurbed and resprayed? They're OZ Racing Superturismos. No doubt retailed for £700+ brand new a few years back!

CFAB

ClioSport Trader
  Cliosport 182 ff
I'm going to be refurbing the wheels on this in the next couple of weeks.
How much (roughly) would they probably be fully refurbed and resprayed? They're OZ Racing Superturismos. No doubt retailed for £700+ brand new a few years back!

£150 ish depending on where you are they shouldn't be to bad.

Maybe less if powder coating them,

I would strongly recommend doing them properly, wheels take a bashing and ideally doing them once properly will last forever as spraying them ya self won't be. I'm a sprayer by trade and wouldn't do mine myself it's just to much aggravation.

£150 ish depending on where you are they shouldn't be to bad.

Maybe less if powder coating them,

I would strongly recommend doing them properly, wheels take a bashing and ideally doing them once properly will last forever as spraying them ya self won't be. I'm a sprayer by trade and wouldn't do mine myself it's just to much aggravation.

I'm doing them properly mate. Deep clean, sand, fill, sand, prime, paint, clear, protect. Long process, I know... but am I hell forking out the £300 places have quoted me! I'd much rather do it myself and learn something new too while I'm at it, they can't possibly come out worse than they already are to be honest...

I was hoping for more than £150 haha, I was wanting to hear £250-£300 at least!

Wow its been a fair old while since ive posted in here!
So recently ive just been fixing the car and keeping it running as a work horse.
Anyway, i have a majorly bad rattling sound from the driver side somewhere as well as a humming noise (like a wheel bearing sounds when its about to give up) and i cant put my finger on what it is. Ive changed the driveshaft, lower ball joint, wheel bearings and top mounts... My only guesses are the shock is shot, spring is somehow off its seat, tracking is off or the ABS ring isnt sitting properly. Does anybody else have any idea as to what it may be?