ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Google Chromebook has arrived

Had this on order for a month or so and it arrived yesterday.
Its a Samsung Series 5 3G laptop
some specs for people who don't know
The 12.1-inch Samsung Series 5 packs a 1.66GHz Intel Atom N570 dual-core processor, 2GB of DDR3 RAM and 16GB of storage. The battery will last 8.5 hours, and the whole shebang weighs around 1.4kg. It sports two USB slots, an SD card slot and space to bung in a SIM card for 3G connectivity when there's no Wi-Fi about.

Been playing around with it a bit and just generally getting used to the chrome operating system.
Thoughts so far
boot up time is amazing and resume from standby is instant.
cloud storage works really well as it loaded all my setting, bookmark, contacts, e-mail, calender, phone sms's all when I connected using my gmail account
keyboard is lovely to type on, no more useless caps lock and F1 buttons.
few pictures
DSC06608.jpg

DSC06609.jpg

DSC06612.jpg
DSC06619.jpg

Wow, like that a lot but never heard of it! I swear by chrome lol so would be ideal :)

Can you run MS office or do you have to download android equivalents?

Unsure on these, effectively it's just a web browser? Yes you can do lots with them but everything is stored online. Is it of much use if you don't have internet connectivity?

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Surely you can't use that for much more than a web browser?

Which begs the question why you didn't buy an iPad 2.

No troll, only ask.

Bus w**ker
I'd like to try Chrome OS, but don't think I would be buying a specific device for it for many years to come. As above I'm struggling to see the benefit of this over an iPad2 apart from price.

Golf GTD Mk7
Not sure if srs?

Maybe not half price, but cheaper. Although not sure how much the keyboard would rush you? I just don't see ipads justifying the premium really when there are a few things now that are just as good, but just not as "cool". That's why i'd go for the air. Less limitations/best of both imo.

What apps/plugins does the Google store have? Are they free/cheap?

The actual Google products are great. I couldn't cope without gmail/reader/maps etc. But not sure I'd buy a laptop that just did that.

Maybe not half price, but cheaper. Although not sure how much the keyboard would rush you? I just don't see ipads justifying the premium really when there are a few things now that are just as good, but just not as "cool". That's why i'd go for the air. Less limitations/best of both imo.

You just contradicted yourself.

Base Air is £849. Base iPad is £399. How is that best of both? Totally different.

No other tablets are anywhere near as good as the iPad. They're getting closer but not there yet. As for 'justifying the premium' what tablets with the same specs are cheaper? You talk like the iPad is twice the price of everything else.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I'd just get a cheap windows pc and run chrome. (if i was desperate)

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Who buys a base spec iPad?!

Regarding the Chromebook thing, I can't see the point in it, especially not for that much cash. Too many drawbacks, not enough pros

Golf GTD Mk7
What apps/plugins does the Google store have? Are they free/cheap?

The actual Google products are great. I couldn't cope without gmail/reader/maps etc. But not sure I'd buy a laptop that just did that.

You just contradicted yourself.

Base Air is £849. Base iPad is £399. How is that best of both? Totally different.

No other tablets are anywhere near as good as the iPad. They're getting closer but not there yet. As for 'justifying the premium' what tablets with the same specs are cheaper? You talk like the iPad is twice the price of everything else.

I guess I'm not sold on tablets in general mate. Laptop all day. iPhone does everything else fine.

Didn't realize iPads were so cheap. Thought the 2's were around 550ish. 400 ain't so bad really, but I still wouldn't

its nothing special in regards to hardware terms.
By now pretty much everything is on the web and most people spend most of their time in a web browser (cs peps) its a laptop that will do just that but better.

you will have the same experience if you logged onto your mates chromebook than you would on your own.
The web store is expanding and getting a lot better, with more useful apps that you would find convenient, game like angry birds are on their, and others.

This give you a bit of an idea

Most of my stuff is on the cloud already like my Google music, Pictures on Picasa with GB of space, calender, e-mails, apps, bookmarks, soon to be videos.
So it can only get better as more things go cloud based.
Think even apple are jumping on the bandwagon and releasing Imusic or something similar. and Amazon already have a cloud based music platform

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the idea of these, they'd suit 75% of internet users down to the ground imo - just the browser and nothing else to bother about. Less faff is good.

If you need to perform specific tasks or run certain programs, don't get one. I don't get the comparisons with the iPad. Other than its sort of in the same price range as the low spec one.

If I didn't already have a Macbook Air; which to be honest is overkill for what I use it for these days; I'd get one in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Yeah so true

I love the idea of these, they'd suit 75% of internet users down to the ground imo - just the browser and nothing else to bother about. Less faff is good.

If you need to perform specific tasks or run certain programs, don't get one. I don't get the comparisons with the iPad. Other than its sort of in the same price range as the low spec one.

If I didn't already have a Macbook Air; which to be honest is overkill for what I use it for these days; I'd get one in a heartbeat.