ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My mk1 won't start!! Help

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Well my mk1 won't start the problem seems fuel related (fuel pump not working) there's 2 live wires there when I turn the ignition on but its not priming

Help at a loss!

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Martins messed with it.

There is power going to 2 of the wires when the ignition is turned on but pump not working

Anyone know which relay the pump uses or where it gets its earth?

Toad imobiliser is no more.!

Put the alarm into valet mode and un spliced the two wires that was going into the ignition to imobilise it. So the wiring is now what it was before the toad was spliced in.

Yes seems very odd as there is power going to the pump but no prime. As said dave dodgy earth could be the culprit.

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Have you tried hitting the pump? My old one used to need a whack with a sharp instrument every few starts.

Turn the key to pos 2, get in the back, whack the pump, Bzzzzzzzzz hey presto we're off again! lol.

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Have you tried hitting the pump? My old one used to need a whack with a sharp instrument every few starts.

Turn the key to pos 2, get in the back, whack the pump, Bzzzzzzzzz hey presto we're off again! lol.

Give this a try this morning no joy :-(

MartinR came around last night to remove the Imobaliser which didn't fix the intermittent starting sad times lol

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Did this all work before alarm went in? Also id be checking the connections, I lifted my rear seats, and knocked the plug off some how. Was stumped for ages, then I didn't hear the pump turn on or prime due to this.

Give the connectors out then put back in.

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Did this all work before alarm went in? Also id be checking the connections, I lifted my rear seats, and knocked the plug off some how. Was stumped for ages, then I didn't hear the pump turn on or prime due to this.

Give the connectors out then put back in.

I brought the car with a suspected imobaliser fault only thing is it not that lol checking the earth when i get back where are the pumps earthed to?

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Earth runs from my mental pictures, from the plug to the back of the rear lights. I seem to remember.

But anyway, you should have 12v at the connector end. So whip it off the pump, earth it to say the seatbelt anchor. Power pump up and test what voltage you get out of the pump plug.
If you get 12v, your good, if not, your earths are wrong. So id re-run an earth cable.

Any joy Dave?

Did it start first thing today?

The imobiliser was never at fault, it will be something stupid.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
The Mk1 is extremely simplistic (unless it's a Ph3, Renault got sneaky with those).

1 - Disconnect the plug to the fuel pump. Then give it a direct +12v and a good ground by using something like a test probe. Does the pump run?

No - Replace pump.
Yes - See 2 below.

2 - Isolate the circuit and test it's function for conformity.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
as above, you can easily bypass the pump wiring in the loom and just give it a live and and earth and it'll run.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
There you go Dave , your security is sorted lol
run new feed with a hidden switch to it :)

thats if it's not the pump fucked as explained above

Daves neighbour put an electrical probe thingy machine in the end of the plug. And had 12v when ignition was turned on, i reckon its dodgy earth or a buggered pump.

Pull your finger out cs_dave santa pod is round the corner.

No need to have removed the toad imobiliser then lol.

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Daves neighbour put an electrical probe thingy machine in the end of the plug. And had 12v when ignition was turned on, i reckon its dodgy earth or a buggered pump.

Pull your finger out cs_dave santa pod is round the corner.

No need to have removed the toad imobiliser then lol.

Lol thanks all will have a mess tonight see how it goes

There is power down to pump.

Pump also primes when + and - are direct.

Earth is ok.

Odd thing is the car will prime the pump and start from cold ,once it has temp and knock it off it won't prime the pump again till its cooled down!!?

CTS is at fault according to someone on cliovalver forum. Can this be the problem?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Unplug the CTS then but I have never heard of the fuel pump control circuit being governed by engine temp (ever).

Just remember the Mk1 has X2 CTS inputs (one for the dash and a second for the ECU)