ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My TD04 Abarth 500

Abarth 500 Esseesse
Had my Abarth 500 SS for 18 months now but only recently started fiddling.

Had the wheels sprayed red and then got a TD04 turbo, 200 cell cat, 2.25 inch stainless exhaust with a middle silencer, Forge Induction Kit, Airtec FMIC, uprated injectors and Assetto Corse boost/MAP sensors

Work and mapping were done by ProAlfa in Watford, these are the go-to guys especially for mapping on these.

I always loved these even when I had my Inferno. It was a healthy 164bhp/216lb-ft when I last had it on the rollers and went well. It's a little animal now though!

Next up is a brake upgrade once I've finished these off, and Bilstein B14 coilovers :D

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
They look so so cool!

I just can't get comfy in them. :-(

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
That'll burn a lot of folk on the road that! Love it!

What do the standard internals take on these? I've seen seriously fettled ones with 350bhp and always wonder what sort of coin they've spent on the engines internals...?

Abarth 500 Esseesse
They'll take 1.6 bar but not for long lol. Mine's at 1.4

You're getting into big money upwards of 250bhp.

2014 Clio 200t edc
Wow!! This is awesome @.Tyler. I'd love to do this to my abarth punto. Just funds hold me back. If my turbo goes pop I'll definitely consider it. What did you need to fit the turbo? And can I ask details please? Pm if you'd rather.

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
I'll admit, I was looking at these on eBay and auto trader today!

I'm seriously tempted after seeing the figures on yours, bet it flys.

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
My SS was cracking fun with 160hp-ish.. Can't imagine what this is like with 240!

I'd change the alloys to a more subtle colour and then you'll surprise even more cars.

What's it like getting the power down?

Abarth 500 Esseesse
My SS was cracking fun with 160hp-ish.. Can't imagine what this is like with 240!

I'd change the alloys to a more subtle colour and then you'll surprise even more cars.

What's it like getting the power down?
They were standard SS white before but I recently had them done in red to compliment the mirrors and stripes.

The front tyres are Falkens which are ok but don't have long left on them. It's managing to put most of it down without too much hassle when the road's dry. I reckon it'll be no problem once I get some fresh rubber next year, probably PS3s

Last edited:

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
They were standard SS white before but I recently had them done in red to compliment the mirrors and stripes. The front tyres are Falkens which are ok but don't have long left on them. It's managing to put most of it down without too much hassle when the road's dry. I reckon it'll be no problem once I get some fresh rubber next year, probably PS3s

That's fair enough, looks like a great car.

I went from Avon ZZ5's/Uniroyal 2 to PS3's on the front and it was a whole different car.. It transformed it, literally so much grip. I wish I had done it sooner.

Only reason I sold up was because of the steering feel and seating position for my 320 mile commute.

Just needs cruise control and better seating position!

Abarth 500 Esseesse
This looks ace, love these little cars.

Pro alfa are currently building a panda 100hp with an abarth engine for a good friend of mine :smile:

I was having a nose at it while I was there. That'll be some machine when (if ever haha) it's done. Used to have one of those when they first came out and loved every second of it.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
My gripe with these (I use one as a work horse/daily) the feedback through the steering is crap, and I don't really think they handle that well either. I used to think it was fine until I pushed on with it.

Also the brakes aren't half as good as they look. My 200 was a much better drivers car. Topgears bit that they did on them was laughable. Yeah the 200 has to be worked harder, but in terms on handling the clio is in a different league.

The 595 does make me smile though, but being like 6ft4 not 'ideal'.

I'd have thought you'd be at more power with the different turbo?

Abarth 500 Esseesse
My gripe with these (I use one as a work horse/daily) the feedback through the steering is crap, and I don't really think they handle that well either. I used to think it was fine until I pushed on with it.

Also the brakes aren't half as good as they look. My 200 was a much better drivers car. Topgears bit that they did on them was laughable. Yeah the 200 has to be worked harder, but in terms on handling the clio is in a different league.

The 595 does make me smile though, but being like 6ft4 not 'ideal'.

I'd have thought you'd be at more power with the different turbo?

Really? Did you see the graph? Won't get much more without going forged. And I'm well aware that 200s are far better drivers cars. I find the SS brakes cope reasonably well when they're nice and warm and they performed fine for me at the 'ring last year (of course with less power). I will be upgrading them once these pads have died though

Last edited:

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
I was having a nose at it while I was there. That'll be some machine when (if ever haha) it's done. Used to have one of those when they first came out and loved every second of it.

25 weeks and counting now for a five week build! it's had 2 rebuilds so far but is now forged so hopefully third time lucky :)

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry I posted then decided to edit! I could have been clearer in my first post too!

No sweat matey, sounds like a weapon!

First gear on these is comical anyway, I imagine you're in it for milliseconds haha!!

I bet the pull in second and third is mega!

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
is a 2.25 diameter exhaust not restrictive with a TD04? would there be more gains to be had with a 2.5?

Abarth 500 Esseesse
is a 2.25 diameter exhaust not restrictive with a TD04? would there be more gains to be had with a 2.5?

That was my initial thought but the exhaust builders said there was no need to go up to 2.5 and they seem to know their stuff.

These can happily make more torque with 300lb-ft being about the limit for the standard gearbox. Power wise though it's in the sweet spot. If I wanted more it's an engine-open job!

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
That was my initial thought but the exhaust builders said there was no need to go up to 2.5 and they seem to know their stuff.

These can happily make more torque with 300lb-ft being about the limit for the standard gearbox. Power wise though it's in the sweet spot. If I wanted more it's an engine-open job!

What kind of £ have you thrown at it, if you don't mind me asking?

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
£600 for 5 months isn't too bad to be fair.

Thats what we thought. Suzuki are flat out denying all responsibility now too, so it would end up in court. Court fee's initially are £495, then time off work etc. If it was a few thousand hit, we'd follow it through. But for £600 I think we'll swallow it.

And 500 SS's are lush!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Thats what we thought. Suzuki are flat out denying all responsibility now too, so it would end up in court. Court fee's initially are £495, then time off work etc. If it was a few thousand hit, we'd follow it through. But for £600 I think we'll swallow it.

And 500 SS's are lush!
100% on both. Chop it in and I love the SS.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
100% on both. Chop it in and I love the SS.

Update - We bought the SS! It's as loud my my Clio, which is hillarious. Really fun drive, I agree with @Advikaz on the steering feel, isn't as good as the Clio. But even from a short test drive, I already really like it.

Collect Saturday, will stick up my own thread and stop hyjacking this one!