ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nankangs on track

Clio 182
I've read that a couple of people have been trying out Nankang NS2R's on the road and people seem generally happy but has anyone given them a good seeing to on the track? If so how did you find them? My Federals are reaching the end of their life and I'm thinking of giving something else ago and I'm not sure whether to go for one of the pricier options like the r888 or try these out for about half the price.

​any opinions are welcome

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Less grip = more fun. and if they are actually good then thats even better.

Clio 182
Ha ha, thanks.... I would agree with you for the back tyres but I find the Clio is all about the front end grip and I need more of it.

anyone actually had a go with them?

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
I used mine at an autotesting day in the soaking wet. Bit different to hooning round a track I know but they performed great given the conditions. They were still predictable yet you could have fun with them if you wanted too.

I would of liked to try them on a proper track day but never get the chance to sadly. I don't think you would be disappointed with them on track though.

Clio 182
Thanks for that mate, track life is very different though as you said. I may have to pay a bit extra and go ith some triple 8s

Cup In bits
Thanks for that mate, track life is very different though as you said. I may have to pay a bit extra and go ith some triple 8s

Dont IMHO, 888's are a very mediocre tyre nowadays, much better/cheper alternatives out there. They were good in there day being pretty much the first r-series tyre but things have moved on since, they only give about 3 laps of good performance.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
I think an r888 is going to be a 'best choice tyre' for most tbh, unless your a serious dedicated track day driver going for the 10ths of a second per lap.

I've been in my friends Clio at the ring for 4 flat out laps and the car was beyond amazing on them.
It was 30+ degrees and Can definitely see they have more grip than a Federal RS-R in the dry

Those tyres will outdo the drivers before the other way around. Again, unless your a fully dedicated track driver, not just the odd track here and there.

and judging by your post, you were happy with the Federals too

Arctic blue clio 182
I had a pair of NS2 on the rear of my clio! They seemed pretty good, so ive now put 4 new ones on it, il be doing a trackday on them 23rd of this month.. I shall let you now how they go :)

Clio 182
Thanks for comments guys.... What your saying is what I'm thinking, are they the best tyre for the money. I have been taking the Clio around to different tracks now for a couple of years so I like to think I'm no longer a novice but I'm no pro and I just go out to have fun so 10ths of seconds don't matter.

to be honest I thought my Federals were great when they were new but the main thing that has put me off buying some more is that they have really seemed to jump off a cliff as they have got older. I know no tyre will stay as good as new forever but they just seemed to get to a point and then die (almost like they had taken advice from Pirellis F1 team) and we are struggling with loads of under steer so I thought I'd try the life of something else. Yoky's semi slick seems too expensive so it seems to be between the Nankangs or R888s.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
If you can get hold of a set, the AD08's are a cracking tyre too. Tidy enough on the road once there's heat in them.

theyve also got better as the tread had got lower, so the complete opposite to the federals.

Obviously they'll become more unpredictable in the wet.

Mine are due to be changed, and it's now I'm loving them, so much feedback from them.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
I've got 4 of these waiting to go on

25b974457032f84d94694951f19670ac_zpsef17c19c.gif

​had cracking reviews!

Renault Clio 172 cup
Nankang ns2r....have tried them recently on the rear only at both Brands Indy and Donington. For the money and for the rear which obviously isnt worked as hard as the fronts they are perfectly good track tyres. Had the 120 tread wear compounds which is supposedly competition only .
I am used to using 888,s all around , at Brands I had the 888,s up front and Nankangs at rear , and at Donington had Toyo R1R,s up front with the Nankangs on the rear. Both times , warmed up well enough , didnt slide around or lose traction and ( the tester for me ) didnt lock up or lose grip under heavy braking. Better than ad08,s which I have also used on a good few tracks also.
How good they would be on the fronts though I dont know, the R1R,s were definitely not up to 888 standard ( understeered earlier and not as precise ). Next time out will be swopping the Toyo R1R and Nankangs around so will update.

WRX
R1Rs aren't really up to dry abuse. Better as a wet option, they get far too warm quickly when you're really on it. Maybe good as a quali tyre option.

Clio 182
Thanks guys, interesting reads. As far as I know R1Rs are toyos wet option so I wouldn't think they would be up to much up front in the dry and would be really interested to hear what the nankangs were like up front. At the minute I've been running some old road budget tyres that came with a set of my team dynamics at the rear, if you have front end grip it's great fun, bit of trail braking and the back comes out all day long :D but at the minute we are just going straight on with under steer.

patrick and 'flobalob' when either of you do a dry track day with them on the front I'd love to hear how you get on, just make sure you give them a good test for me ;)