ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nas drives

dk

911 GTS Cab
For the dlna I was referring to being able to watch the downloaded tv shows on my xbox/playstation on my main tv rather than how I normally watch them, on my mbp, the main issue I have is that my router is in the bedroom and my consoles in the living room. The wall between the two is solid and so doesn't let wifi through very well so I located the router in the room where I need the speed for downloading. So if I plug the Synology into the router, I'm not sure I'll have the capacity to stream the video to the consoles.

Im considering buying another Ethernet plug, but one that extends wifi, I already have 2 to give my sky box Ethernet, so would just need the one. Or I might move the router into the lounge and wire connect the devices to it and then get the wireless plug to extend the wifi into the bedroom for downloading.

Not sure if I can use the Synology to download my tv shows for me seeing as I use usenext, not used torrents for years now.

Planning on using it as a time machine, not sure if I can use it as a remote iPhoto store, and haven't used iTunes for a while, but I'd like to move my iTunes library to it if it's easy enough.

Ive only heard good things about them, so looking forward to having a play, I'll also be glad to get some resiliency for my photos at last.

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
Not sure if I can use the Synology to download my tv shows for me seeing as I use usenext, not used torrents for years now.

Google sabnzbd and sickbeard for newsgroup tv shows etc on synology

dk

911 GTS Cab
Google sabnzbd and sickbeard for newsgroup tv shows etc on synology
Cheers, I'll check it out.

Was as looking at plex after someone mentioned it, but just my luck, the Synology I have ordered is the only model not supported because of the processor. Although all the new synology boxes coming out are using the same architecture, so hopefully they will add support. There's a big thread on the support forums with loads of people asking for it, but 6 months later,no support still.

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
I've got the 212j+ or something, very similar to yours. I can run plex on it but to be honest it's very slow.

I generally just use the dnla on my smart tv to access and play the files on the nas, or if I want flashy covers and artwork then XBMC on raspberry pi does the job nicely.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Yeah, the new model that I have has a faster processor, but it's a different architecture, quite annoying.

but I didn't buy the nas to stream anyway, it's mainly a backup device and to free up some space on my mbp which has 20gb free on its 750gb drive, I'm also scared of losing all my photos. Anything else it does is just a bonus.

Does anyone have any experience of WD Mycloud? Have a small capacity MBA and its always completely full so just need somewhere I can remotely store my photos, music, videos etc

I'm clueless with technology so just need something simple. Maybe a silly question but will it be quick enough that I could store a word document on and then open it remotely on the MBA?

dk

911 GTS Cab
well i have it and have been using it for 24 hrs now.

had a shakey start, couldn't even connect to it from my mac, id used the easy setup but it seems it had blocked everything on the firewall, so i opened up the ports and hey presto, it worked.

then i had some issues with the connectivity outside my home, but I've finally sorted that.

I love it, lots of features, but i can't help feeling it would be quite challenging for non it savvy people, things don't seem to work first time and need some fiddling with, and it all requires a bit of knowledge, not foolproof.

I've started to copy my photos across and came across the thumbnail issue, taking forever to create them, but the forums have saved the day for that too, although a lot of the posts suggest using scripting and going hardcore, but i found a much easier way using the sinology assistant app which uses your computer to create the thumbnails and so is much less processing on the has, people have been talking about thumbnails taking weeks to create if you copy lots of photos on to it!

I think i will unleash its power more and more by the week, but at the moment I'm happy i have the remote access even got it to download a torrent, although even that seems a chore to configure as i don't seem to get many results when i search etc.

Anyway, I'm having fun messing, and I'm learning fast, although i can't help but feel that having full access to all the features of the has outside of my network with a single password is a great idea, seems a little exposed......

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
The Synologys have become a lot more app driven over the past few years, which is good for the novice. When I was putting Sickbeard on mine it took me about 3 days telnetting in setting up the correct file structure, settings, programs, updates and commands, now you can just download it as an app. The community is very helpful though and it seems much bigger and more savvy then all the others. Rather than using the Synology client directly to get NZB's I use Sabnzbd to pick up my RSS feed on the NZB site I use. That way I can just add whatever I want to my cart while in work/wherever on the NZB site and it's waiting for me when I get in.

Rav4
well i have it and have been using it for 24 hrs now.

had a shakey start, couldn't even connect to it from my mac, id used the easy setup but it seems it had blocked everything on the firewall, so i opened up the ports and hey presto, it worked.

then i had some issues with the connectivity outside my home, but I've finally sorted that.

I love it, lots of features, but i can't help feeling it would be quite challenging for non it savvy people, things don't seem to work first time and need some fiddling with, and it all requires a bit of knowledge, not foolproof.

I've started to copy my photos across and came across the thumbnail issue, taking forever to create them, but the forums have saved the day for that too, although a lot of the posts suggest using scripting and going hardcore, but i found a much easier way using the sinology assistant app which uses your computer to create the thumbnails and so is much less processing on the has, people have been talking about thumbnails taking weeks to create if you copy lots of photos on to it!

I think i will unleash its power more and more by the week, but at the moment I'm happy i have the remote access even got it to download a torrent, although even that seems a chore to configure as i don't seem to get many results when i search etc.

Anyway, I'm having fun messing, and I'm learning fast, although i can't help but feel that having full access to all the features of the has outside of my network with a single password is a great idea, seems a little exposed......

Copy and paste the torrent link to the download manager from which ever torrent site you use.

Remote access is easy, as long as your router is supported, if not some manual porting is required.

Plex is bloody amazing.

Don't forget the apps on your phones.

Also, if you want, you can backup the NAS to the cloud too.

G.

dk

911 GTS Cab
got remote access sorted, just seems like i have to open a lot of ports, making it insecure.

plex isn't supported on my box unfortunately, so thats a no go for now, id have to run the server on my laptop.

i have all the apps on my phone and iPad, they are cool.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Right I've moved now and I want to put all my content on a nas drive to have on permanently or have it wirelessly woken up to access it.

then how do I connect it to every TV in the house? And how do I play downloaded films/TV etc. on any TV I want?

Any links to good ones?

A.N. Other
I have a netgear ReadyNAS duo 2, it is indirectly plugged into our broadband router via ethernet powerline adapters.
I save music & films to it from pc/laptop, it's possible to also upload to it via IOS/Android apps as well.

It runs DLNA software to broadcast music, photos & videos to anything connected on our network, and as the TV is connected that's how we watch saved films.
Music & pics work the same way, the TVs just need to be on the network. I