ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ND Grad Filters

1.8 Civic EX
Ok so I'm getting annoyed when taking nice pics that are spoiled by the sky "blowing out".

I've got a circular Polorising filter but I just don't get it and basically given up with it so I'm thinking of getting a relatively cheap ND Grad circular/threaded filter that I can just screw on the end of the lens.

I would get the proper rectagular ones where you need the adapter but don't want to spend that sort of money to start with untill I get used to it (if that makes sense)

Issues are:

What lens should I get it for, my Sigma 24mm F1.8 or my kit lens 14-42mm F3.5-5.6?

I'm thinking the kit lens as it's a little more versatile (and a smaller circumfrence so filter will be cheaper)

and which filter do I go for? one that reduces by 25% (2 f-stops) or one by 50% (1 f-stop)?

again I'm thinking the 50% one as I don't want the sky to be too dark and end up going too far the other way.

Sugestions and images you've taken using an ND grad filter would be great :)

In that instance, the ND filter won't make any difference.

Let's say the sky blows out at 500ths/f1.8. But the foreground is well exposed. If you gain two stops by using the filter, your foreground will be too dark. So you'll have to re-adjust it and you'll just blow the sky out again.

1.8 Civic EX
In that instance, the ND filter won't make any difference.

Let's say the sky blows out at 500ths/f1.8. But the foreground is well exposed. If you gain two stops by using the filter, your foreground will be too dark. So you'll have to re-adjust it and you'll just blow the sky out again.

potential thread reading fail there Mr Revels..

ND Grad filters

The bottom half is clear and it graduates to a "darker" top half

eg: http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-b-w-58mm-502-dark-grey-graduated-filter/p1013476

a CP won't stop the sky getting over exposed only the ND grad will do.

best to get a couple of ND grads (soft) and go from there. using the cokin P system holder and kood/hitech filters should not work out too expensive

GW RS200
Or just shoot RAW, open the shot twice at different exposures and blend together? (I believe Canon RAWs carry about 1.5 stops either way of extra info? Not sure about others). Not suggesting that this is perfect, but it's quick, dirty (and cheap!)

3 Series touring
assuming you area asking which lens to get it for because they have different diameter lens?

i'd buy for the bigger lens diameter then use a step-up ring (off ebay) to attatch it to the smaller lens...will only cost a few quid for the adapter and you'll get the best of both worlds

Or just shoot RAW, open the shot twice at different exposures and blend together? (I believe Canon RAWs carry about 1.5 stops either way of extra info? Not sure about others). Not suggesting that this is perfect, but it's quick, dirty (and cheap!)

problem with that is colour casts and noise

assuming you area asking which lens to get it for because they have different diameter lens?

i'd buy for the bigger lens diameter then use a step-up ring (off ebay) to attatch it to the smaller lens...will only cost a few quid for the adapter and you'll get the best of both worlds

the cokin system uses the same filter holder but different lens adaptors so you don't need to use stepping rings.

1.8 Civic EX
any links to these at all?

I can't be doing with merging two pic together all the time, trying to do as little PPing as possible really.

I always had to up the contrast and saturation on all my pics then my brain kcked in and realised it was my laptop screen settings lol All my pics instantly look better :)

sigma 24mm f1.8 has a 77mm thread

the 14-42 has a 58mm thread

search ebay for coking P holder, 77mm cokin P adaptor, 58mm P adaptor, kood ND filter

If you want to get some proper kit then go for the Cokin kit, or if you've got a bit more cash - the LEE kit.

I wouldnt bother with the screw in GND filters. I bought one and it didnt really do much at all, well nothing like a proper slot it system.
Here's an example of with/without using a 2 stop (0.6) LEE GND (Hard edge) filter:

DSC_3548.gif

Megane
I've heard great things about the Lee systems. I just hear alot of these filter kits don't play with the wide-angle lenses and you need to look into it more carefully :S

Well that was shot on my 16-35mm lens. I've had no problems with my wideangle lens and LEE system so far.
But make sure you get the wideangle adapter ring if you get a kit like this.

Of course, if you stack lots of filters then you do see this a tiny bit in the corners, but thats inevitable, and easily fixed in PS.

Megane
Well that was shot on my 16-35mm lens. I've had no problems with my wideangle lens and LEE system so far.
But make sure you get the wideangle adapter ring if you get a kit like this.

Of course, if you stack lots of filters then you do see this a tiny bit in the corners, but thats inevitable, and easily fixed in PS.

Ok cool, I am thinking at the wide end of my 10-22mm but I will have a good read :D