ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Near side inner cv boot

Golf MK2 GTD
My mates just bought a k reg (phase 1?) 1.8 16v

the boot for the inner cv seems to short and leaks oil as we dont know the history of the car we dont know if it has the wrong drive shaft or the wrong boot, do all early clios use the same shafts/boots or do the wide arch models (16v and williams) use longer drive shafts? wider track?

I know very little about these cars

Whcih side drivers or passenger?
I'd take it that its the drivers if so you can get new driveshafts there not to badly priced from halfords etc or if you want you can get the boots for £15 or so From Renault but if you value your time and urge to live (there a pain to replace) you'll go and buy a new driveshaft.
16V use the same shafts as most of the range its just the Williams thats special as far as I remember.

Golf MK2 GTD
Its the passenger side one (with the tripod bearings) and cv joint boot that bolts to the box, the boot seems way to short wont reach the steped part of the drive shaft so the box is leaking the oil we just put in via the boot.

Lionel Richie
i've had that gaitor pop off several times, pain in the arse, easiest way is just replace the whole thing

Valver
you put oil in the box via the boot? :S

anyway the gator is probably the right size but it is a total pain in the ass to stretch it onto the taperd part, you need couple pairs of pliers!

Have a look at the drivers side one and you will see how far it has to be stretched...

Golf MK2 GTD
Sami said:
you put oil in the box via the boot? :S

anyway the gator is probably the right size but it is a total pain in the ass to stretch it onto the taperd part, you need couple pairs of pliers!

Have a look at the drivers side one and you will see how far it has to be stretched...

no no no, lol we put the oil in through the level hole in the front od the box, its leaking by the boot of the CV joint.

Threse a ridge on the drive shaft, is that where the boot goes over so it doent slide about? if so the boot looks far to stretched, so stretched it goes smooth:S

I should have taken pics

16v Phase 1
You can also buy split CV boot kits, that just slide over and you seal them..saves you taking drive shafts out and stuff.

Golf MK2 GTD
FredYozzasport said:
they're incredibly crap

Yep I wouldnt touch a "sticky" boot kit plus you sure you can fit one to a clio valver ns driveshaft inner joint due to it having the flange with 3 bolts that fastens it to the diff casing

Clio Mk 1
You can get a cone and you turn the boot inside out put some lube on it like oil and put the wider end of the cone over the drive shaft slide it on and turn it the right way around on a shaft. They are pretty simple so they may have some at halfords. I use them all the time when doing this much easier and saves taking the shaft out.
Hope this is helpful
Matt