ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Needed: NW member to diagnose my car, please?

Ian

Focus TDCi
Hi all,

recently my car is becoming unbearable to drive, but I don't know where to start in terms of fixing things. I could do with somebody who is willing to take it for a quick spin and tell me what needs changing and if it's cost effective to sort it.

Would anyone be kind enough to do that for me?

Thanks,
Ian

Ian

Focus TDCi
No worries pal, hopefully there will be someone around. I think it's just the general age of the car, it's hard to pinpoint things. For anyone that has been driving for long enough I'm sure they'd be able to rattle off a list of problems within 5 minutes, but I've only ever driven three cars really and the other two had been well maintained from new. This one has no service history, but I get the feeling it was ragged about a lot before I got it.

I think the gearbox is on its way out and a rear bearing needs replacing, but it's other less obvious things too like how rough it drives; could be sensors, joints, shafts, mounts, oil etc.. I just don't know! Really can't be bothered spending any more on it though as it is.

Skoda Fabia vRS
the stuff you list, mounts, shafts, etc would require a bit more than a test drive to diagnose, i think you need to take it to a local garage mate and get it on the ramps too

what actual problems do you have with it

Ian

Focus TDCi
Yeah you're probably right bud, it's just really starting to get to me now and if I can't get it fixed for a reasonable price then basically it will have to go.

- The NSR bearing needs replacing, that much I know for sure.
- Sometimes gears won't engage and I have to drive in a different gear for a bit.
- Idle is blummin' rough sometimes, feel like I'm sat on top of the engine. (I know the Clio isn't renowned for being smooth, but still).
- Feels extremely crashy over rough surfaces. May be attributed to changing from 14's to 16's, but could be the dampers I'm guessing?
- Goes through petrol at a rate of knots too.
- Gearstick jumps all over the place.
- Seems to lack power in fourth and fifth gear. (I know it's not a 2ltr, but just seems to have no 'go' at all).
Etc. etc.

Basically it's just hard work driving it.

My diagnosis from my own car.
Ive basically got the same car as you.
-The shakyness is the dampers, check if there is any seeping/leaking. When mine were f**ked it was like riding a bucking horse.
-My gear box is leaking and Ive found that when it gets low on fluid that it wont go into to some gears. Get it topped up, its normally the passenger side driveshaft leaking on the circlip but thats another story :(
- The gear stick movement is because of the engine, when i accelerate/go round corners the gear stick moves a lot 3-5 inches lol. Its the mounts, I changed the dog bone gearbox mount and it was ok for a bit but the top mount needs doing so its putting stress on the DB mount.
-The poor mpg could be due to ragging it all the time, if i drive mine in 5th most of the time I can get 40+ mpg, drive in 3rd everywhere I get 30-35mpg.
-Lack of power in 4th and 5th is probably because your changing up too quick, Ive found with mine that I cant do any overtaking in 4th unless im at 80mph when I change from 3rd. Weird gearing :S

Hope that helps :) x

like said above i'd do a ghetto test mate but probs break more than is affected now. if u need any help let me know

Skoda Fabia vRS
if you have running problems, do you have the pencil type coils ?.....if so maybe one of those has gone, could also be the reason for poor mpg aswell, would be worth cleaning the throttle body with some carb cleaner aswell

the gearstick jumping all over the place is the rear dogbone mount, and the last one i sold for a 1.6 clio was about £12 !!!........new, genuine renault so price one up at the dealers

Ian

Focus TDCi
M8EDJ said:
My diagnosis from my own car.

Thanks pal, sounds like dampers, mounts and oil levels etc will all need checking. I don't really drive it hard tbh, let it warm up and never tend to go over 3,500rpm-ish. Suppose that explains the lack of power in 4th and 5th anyway!

like said above i'd do a ghetto test mate but probs break more than is affected now. if u need any help let me know

Cheers dude, might just ask someone to have a quick once round the carpark before the Cat and Fiddle run.

if you have running problems, do you have the pencil type coils ?.....if so maybe one of those has gone, could also be the reason for poor mpg aswell, would be worth cleaning the throttle body with some carb cleaner aswell

the gearstick jumping all over the place is the rear dogbone mount, and the last one i sold for a 1.6 clio was about £12 !!!........new, genuine renault so price one up at the dealers

I honestly couldn't tell you what coils I have. I know roughly what they are as I've wired them up for an engine test bed using a Honda CBR600 engine at uni, but specific to my car I wouldn't have a clue. :eek:

Ditto the throttle body. I know roughly where it is and what it looks like, but I'd probably end up cleaning the wrong thing. Will have to investigate on both counts.

Might have to invest in a new Dogbone mount at that price. Are they easy to change?

As a more general question. If you bought a car and didn't know it's history (foolish I know, but there we are) what would you be changing? How often does the gearbox oil need doing for example? I changed all the filters and plugs etc when I got it, but nothing beyond that.

All of this may be inconsequential as things stand, as my brother kindly informed me earlier this evening that the police have impounded the car. Fun times.

I rag my car everywhere off the limiter in 1st and 2nd. Thats when I get 30-35mpg.

If you were closer Id try fixing these things for you :(

2008 Clio 1.4 Dynamique
Most of its already been said Ian, but the fuel economy and rough idle could also be the lambda (oxygen) sensor being faulty. If you are changing the dog bone mount, I would recommend changing the top mount too, as failure on one leads to the issues with the other.

Hope you get the car back from the cops though, any ideas why the impounded the car?

Ian

Focus TDCi
if you want to drive as far as doncaster ill have a look.

Cheers Josh, it's probably a little far for me at the moment, but I'll keep you in mind if I'm over that way. :)

If you cover my fuel, I'll come up from Stoke fella.

Will have to see how things go with the po-po and Cat and Fiddle run, but might take you up on that, cheers dude.

Most of its already been said Ian, but the fuel economy and rough idle could also be the lambda (oxygen) sensor being faulty. If you are changing the dog bone mount, I would recommend changing the top mount too, as failure on one leads to the issues with the other.

Hope you get the car back from the cops though, any ideas why the impounded the car?

I was thinking it could be the lambda sensor, guessing it's not been touched in 10 years. The top mount has been replaced as it snapped a few weeks back.. I wanted to do both for the reasons you mention, but needed to get it back on the road so it never got done.

Apparently they took it due to the wheel bearing not being safe to drive on, but I'm surprised they noticed it tbh, it was barely audible at low speeds. I'm yet to get the full story from my brother as he's still in bed. I'm a bit gutted if that's the reason though as it was due to be replaced this week.